What is the most amount of hours you've done in a month?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Feb 25, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nope.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

overwhat? I clock in and out at my contracted hours for the most part. My paygrade doesn't buy the company unpaid overtime (and they dont pay for overtime unless its pre-approved either).

My general philosophy is that when its required, I'll work extra and, unless its taking the piss I tend not to ask for any back. Same with travel times, etc.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I've worked plenty of overtime in my day, but I don't get the bravado people in IT seem to have over how much they've worked. Is working overtime really a badge of honor? In almost all of the cases where I've had to work overtime, it's been because of poor planning on my part or on someone else's part. Is that really something to be proud of?

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Josh, sorry I didn't make myself clear when I started this thread. I'm not proud that I work overtime, and its certainly not a badge of honor in my eyes. I've had to work a lot of overtime this month because I'm gearing up for a career move within my company so I've had a lot more work to do making sure my successor can hit the ground running and have all the information they need on the contracts I cover, my teams roles and responsibilities, previous performance reviews etc.

I started the thread because I was shocked at how much overtime I've clocked up this month and wondered if others had done the same. I'm not proud of my hours this month because its time I could have spent with my girl and little boy plus I'm big on the whole work/life balance concept. That said I haven't done this many hours in a long time so I'll be taking the 3 of us away to Greece in the summer with the extra cash.

Sorry mate I'm tired and waffling. I suppose there's a big difference between those of us that choose to do overtime and those that are pressured to do it. Some people have little choice (little choice not no choice) and I'm interested to hear yours and others views on the number of hours they endure.

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. JK2447

Hey fergal, are you a civil servant? My mate's got it exactly the same as you

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Jim, I wasn't necessarily directing my comment at you. It's just that in all the years that I've been in IT, everyone seems to think it's a good thing when you work at night or on the weekends for anything other than planned maintenance. My comments were basically just pent up frustration from years of hearing others wear their overtime as a badge of honor. I disagree with the sentiment, and my comment just happened to be on your thread. 8)

7. JK2447

Ah no probs mate, I hope I didn't sound defensive, I just felt responsible because I started the thread. I agree with you tho, overtime isn't anything to brag about. I do feel lucky to get paid for the hours I work over my contracted hours, not everyone is so fortunate.

Incidentally a good friend of mine gets a good deal. He's a network admin, £40k, 30 days holiday like me but any hours he does from home or overtime, he gets the same amount of time off instead of overtime payments. A few hours from home a week and he probably gets 40 days off a year! Very good WLB :)

8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dunno what the most I have done in a month is but my record over a week was 110 hours which included sleeping on a server room floor when a server was being restored from tape.

Definitely not a badge of honour thing but just part of IT, unfortunately.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I certainly wasn't wearing my overtime as a badge of honor... like I said, I was miserable.

Personally, I enjoy working as little overtime as possible... mostly because I enjoy spending time with my family! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. JK2447

Well said, me too :biggrin

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Nope. Its a bit of give and take. They expect a bit of overtime when theres a need, in return they dont get any when there isnt.

Our (internal) clients, dont pay for out of hours support, so they dont get it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Well, came to this party late :)

It's a thread newbies should have a quick gander at though, especially if they think their shiny career in IT will become a well-paid walk in the park one day :rolleyes:

Overtime has never been a badge of honour to anyone I've known, but it does become a necessary evil in some departments. My highest clocked up month though ironically is still when I was working as a forklift driver and labourer - me and a buddy had a "race to 80 hours" each week (he always won). Clocked up 340 hours that month.

The scope for long days at my place is large at the moment - I could end up doing a Dubai shift (4:30am start in t'office) and if we are short staffed I could volunteer to work through (to 5:30pm) and if it's First Line that's short staffed, I could be on call (which is availability til midnight).

That's only happened once though :biggrin although there have been a few times where I've ended up working through. But I do get OT, and have a manager that's more than understanding in letting me have time off at short notice if I'm knackered. As it turns out, doing some work from home today!

Fergal sounds like the most sensible one of the lot of us, I have to say!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

You know it baby!!!!

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  14. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Currently overtime, only with prior agreement with upper management and then only on certain projects. Otherwise it's a bit of give and take ("flexi" if you will).

-Ken

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

My normal weekly shift is 37.5 hours, they offered double time last wednesday and ive clocked up 60+ extra hours since then. Ive done 2 7am - midnight shifts aswell on my days off, gonna do 12-12 today and tomorrow aswell. :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house