What is the best way you find to progress at work?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by j1mgg, Nov 2, 2012.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Just wondering what people find are the best way to progress in their career. I was a 2 man team at my old work doing the jobs that got passed to us for desktop support and were always overlooked for projects as we were mainly used for covering other offices when their sole guy was on holiday. Moved to a new job with a company that was looking to go places and was hoping to grow with the company as it was basing it HQ near me, but they have now bought another company to help them in the market and now have the majority of their IT staff in another city and already a lot of people have been paid off or asked to relocate from our office and the old main office. So I am now back basically being a 2 man team just doing basic calls that come into our queue for the office.

So, what do you find best staying and stick it out at a company or move jobs to help you progress?

Always good to see what people think and I am guessing there will be a lot of different opinions.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It really depends, how long have you been at this new job? is there any room for growth... if they need you to just take calls, then I can see how it would get boring. Are there any senior admin's in your dept or is it all outsourced?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Personally if a role is highly unlikely to progress in the way I'd like I'd look elsewhere.

Yes job hopping can look bad, but end if the day you need to look after yourself and get yourself in the best position possible.

I had a little wobbly last year where I ended up moving on from 2 jobs both after just 5 months, but it was the best thing for me to do.

They were all with big employers and I've been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Sticking it out when you know it won't change isn't going to do you much good, it's like a couple staying together 'for the sake of the kids' when they really want to tear each others heads off, it does no one any good.

4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'd agree with both the above posts, its all about the potential growth within your company. If there is room and you feel you'd be in the mix if and when positions came up, then its worth showing your desire to work hard and move up. If you feel that you'd be overlooked (as it sounds from you post), then it may be time to start looking elsewhere.

In my experience, I've been very lucky and have progressed pretty well over the 7 years of my working life, all within the same company where I started out. I was frustrated at times and felt that I was working a lot harder then my position or salary reflected, but eventually the patience and persistence paid off and I was rewarded with a promotion or salary increase, or both.

I think as your thinking about it enough to ask the question, you probably already have your answer in that it's looking like a better option to move onto something with a bigger ladder to climb. I've always been of the opinion that, within reason, I'd rather be at the bottom of a big ladder then at the top of a small one. (Even though that's probably where I sit right now!)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Without more info its hard to give you a decent answer but I aleays work hard and agressively chase down opportunities where possible. What you're doing now might be boring but are you looking for opportunities, asking for opportunities, to get more involved, put yourself out of your compfort zone etc. You work through calls in your queue, do you do any proactive work? Is there anything you can see that could be done more efficiently, or not done at all ie no longer required etc. i always try to exhaust all of these avenues before I look to move on as you can often be surprised how willing management is when they have someone keen and able on their hands. Just my opinion, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Rover977 and danielno8 like this.