What is the best IT job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ericrollo, May 6, 2010.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Coolest infrastructure I've ever seen was GCHQ. That was all kinds of awesome... though of course I can't tell you about any of it :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. AllanWallace

AllanWallace Bit Poster

With regards the "best IT Job", to be honest, I quite like mine!

I work as an IT & Telecoms engineer for a small IT company, providing support & installations of IT & Telecoms kit to small to medium enterprises, education sector (primary, college), and also to domestic end users.

The variety is good, the ability to give remote support is handy, getting out the office most days for a fairly short drive about (or the rare 200 mile + return journey) all add to it, and having the same regular customers who ring with a problem and then have a solution given as soon as is techno-human-ologically possible, leaving them with a smile on their faces is great...

Reconfiguring a printer one day, removing a virus the next, installing the occasional 2003 SBS server/client network or PABX system with VoIP and dreaded voicemail occasionally all add to the variety, so it's difficult to get bored with it..

BUT....

Due to population density & competition, there are too many boring days, and the wages could definitly be better, and sometimes I feel a bit like a "jack of all trades"

The question is, can i find this job for better pay, with better support from my colleagues, and training & certification from my employer?

Being self-taught can be a real challenge at times!

Certifications: MCSA, MCTS 70-680, MCP 70-291, 70-290, 70-270, NVQ3, NVQ2
    WIP: MCITP, ITIL
  3. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

I think the best IT job is one that gives you joy, imagine your getting paid for doing what you like best. isn't it cool ?

4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Yeah one you enjoy :D

However, in current economic climate i don't think you can afford to be too choosy at the moment, a job is a job.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots