What info do i require if i want to upgrade my RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pug-performance, Jul 16, 2008.

1. pug-performance

pug-performance Bit Poster

As the title says people, what info would i require on the build of my pc if i wanted to upgrade my RAM to ensure comaptibility of RAM/Porcessor etc?

Thanking you kindly!

Certifications: ITIL Foundations
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you need to know what type/speed of RAM your motherboard takes.

use this site to find your mother board and it will display the type of ram you need http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CM2b3c-QxJQCFQ2L1Qod610wFA

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And possibly even better - what type or RAM is has now. Mixing RAM types can sometimes cause problems.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. greenbrucelee

the crucial web site also has a scan my system tool so it will match your ram perfectly.

5. pug-performance

pug-performance Bit Poster

wicked stuff...i'll give a try when i get home then. cheers buddy!

Certifications: ITIL Foundations
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Kingston also have a similar facility :

http://www.kingston.com/ukroot/

Their ValueRam is also usually very keenly priced and comes with a lifetime warranty :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Crito

Crito Banned

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I agree with Greenbrucelee, Crucial is where I go for all my RAM upgrades, does everything for you so all you have to do is select what you want and then pay for it

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  9. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Yep, another vote for Crucial. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. postman

postman Byte Poster

Isin't Crucial recommended in the Mike Meyers book? (of course I may have dreamed that).:oops:

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd highly recommend either Crucial or Kingston - both are excellent. And I've got Corsair in my home build, though I don't know if they've got a memory configurator like Crucial and Kingston.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. greenbrucelee

yes corsair do have their own memory advisor tool, I found it a few weeks ago on their site, although it must be new as the last time I looked on the corsair site there was no such thing.

13. greenbrucelee

Can't remember, I found crucial by accident when I typed in what memory does an Asus P5NE-sli mobo need in google.

14. NightWalker

When I worked at Acer we used to get loads of compatibility problems with Kingston RAM. I don't know why, they just didn't play well together. Never been a fan of Kingston after that.

15. BosonMichael

Wouldn't be a problem with Acer computers, would it? Naaaaah... couldn't be... even though Kingston works great with everything else. :p

Sorry, NW... I'd not recommend Acer for anything other than monitors... and even then, there are better options.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. postman

postman Byte Poster

I have an Acer laptop and it's a great system, much better and more stable than the Toshibas I used before and after (and the Samsungs).

17. NightWalker

No one else's RAM caused any issues when it was installed in an Acer laptop, I can only conclude it was something about the Kingston stuff.

18. panosd

panosd Bit Poster

give it a bit longer :) i shudder when my friend brings round his acer laptop. i think i finally have it stable though, with 2gb of ram, a new hard drive, a new dvd burner, and vista home premium. oh, and a new battery because the original turned out to be faulty. At first it would only hold a thirty minute charge and then it started causing the keyboard and trackpad to play up. The hard drive was just small but the burner had clunked out completely. The ram.. well, obviously that was just necessary :) Overall thats 2 years worth of fighting with the damn thing from day one. I tried to convince him to swap it two weeks in. And to just throw it away 3 months in. heh.

Oh yeah, and it was Kingston RAM. The laptop runs great with it, bizarrely enough. Although I do know it can cause problems with some AMD systems (from about 3 years ago and further back.. but thats pretty much any ram that isnt generic or Corsair).

19. BosonMichael

I wouldn't use Toshibas or Samsungs, either. 8) Toshibas were great... in the 90s.

20. BosonMichael

You absolutely certain about that?

Corsair incompatibility:
    Multiple incompatibilities:
    Later in that same thread:
    And later still:
    And that's just pages 14 through 17... I stopped looking after finding those.

What's Acer's answer?
    Apacer?!? Come on, you've GOT to be kidding me... :rolleyes:

I'm just sayin'. Don't be so sure it's the memory's fault... in my experience, it's usually the board that fails with multiple RAM rather than the RAM failing on multiple boards.