What industry pays the most for their IT staff?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Mar 31, 2010.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Me personally? I am on minimum wage (and I am being serious here, the rest of it's down as dividend).
    My limited company? between 60 - 120k a year depending on how long I work and whether it's an hourly\daily rate.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

SABOTEUR!!!! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ah the good old wages thread. We seem to get a lot of these on here. Tell people what you are on, don't tell people what you are on, none of that bothers me. I don't mind if people know what I'm on on here because I don't work with any of you, BUT what I can't bear, is when people say "I'm on X much and I should be paid X, I'm not happy, I cry, I'm a big moaning repetitive bore" or some variation of that.

1) Are you happy with your salary? If Yes, go to 3, If No go to 2
    2) Get off your ass and do something about it but most importantly don't moan about it or people will go right off you. Now go to 3
    3) You Rock. Bask in your own reflective glory.

The End.
    Jim

** Edit: Sorry venting a bit there, to answer the threads question I think wages vary person to person regardless of industry. Financial and Government often pay more but there's always an exception to any rule I find.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A good game on the speccy 48k was that :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

I have repped BosonMichael for his investigative skills and perceptiveness :D

However, I can tell you (originala poster) a little about salaries in different industries that I have experienced. Your experience will probably vary.

A 1st and 2nd line support tech with 1-2 years experience:

Financials services: 20-24k
    Investment bank: 30-32k
    other bank: 26-30k
    IT outsourcing/managed services provider: 18-20k

The salary number is not the final answer though. Thee is also bonus, share incentices, medical insurance, travel insurance, dental, eyecare, life assurance, pension, childcare allowance, lunch vouchers, amount of holidays etc etc.

These benefits can almost double the value of a salary.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  6. dr_fmj

dr_fmj Bit Poster

To preface my response let me say I notice you do have valuable input on some threads and are understandably respected by some of the posters on here. I'm new on here so I haven't talked to you much and I'm not trying to pick enemies....that said...........

Actually I did read your post and I'm not taking offense on his behalf. If he is making alot of posts about salary then obviously it's something hes concerned with. I'm brand new on these forums, and after reading your response to him I suddenly felt I was on the forums of a mmorpg or something. It just came off as an arrogant reply man, that's all. I mean there's always the option of not reading his posts or not taking the time to respond to them. Although you may not be interested in reading different posts surrounding the subject maybe someone else is.

And speaking of fail this comment was straight up fail
    "Really, dude, does it matter? The higher salary will likely be offset by higher stress, increased responsibilities, long working hours, and extended periods of travel away from home. "
    By that rationale people should not apply themselves or settle under their potential because work is hard? I mean it seems to imply that. ROFL

7. dr_fmj

dr_fmj Bit Poster

I did read it, obviously, see above please.

8. greenbrucelee

I have thanks. See CF exsists to point people in the right direction when studying certifications and help prepare and guide them on their career. The majority of members ask questions and also help others. I don't think I have ever seen fatp help another member or even ask about anything he is studying.

All he ever asks about is how to make the most money, he even posts the same questions in different ways. There is nothing wrong with him asking the question but nearly 200 times is a bit pathetic to be honest.

We used to have a member on here (I wont name him) who thought he would get a 30k a year IT job if he passed the A+, all he ever went on about was earning 30k or more, he never once asked for help or queried anything he was studying. He subsequently failed the A+ twice and has never been back.

If fatp continues down this path then I fear he will suffer the same fate and these are the concerns of the other members too.

9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

You overlooked the word 'likely' in BM's statement!

However, you are entitled to your opinions and all of us on CF will respect that.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. dr_fmj

dr_fmj Bit Poster

He still said it and the insinuation was made.....LOL
    Either way I dont have a hate for BosonMike I just thought he was hard on the poor lad.

11. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I kinda get the feeling BM and GBL have been on my back for sometime now.

I may ask a lot of salary questions but this is an open forum.

Feel free not to reply to threads posted by myself in the future.

12. greenbrucelee

I am not on your back and I'm pretty sure BM isn't either but when all you do is post about where's the best place to earn the best money in IT then it kond of say's that your not really interested in IT you just want the money and it also speaks volumes that your participation in cf is soley down to this.

Like I said I have never seen you once try and help a fellow member who asks for direction or anything only about where's the best place for you to get the best money.

Yes CF is an open forum but it is designed for CF to be a community helping each other in their certification and IT career

PS I am sorry if I have offended you but like I said I don't want you to go down the same road as the member I wont mention where all he was interested in was money and ended up failing big time.

13. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi fatp,

I'm sorry if you feel that way but I haven't seen any evidence of what you've described above and I challenge you to give examples. I'm not being funny with you, I just don't agree because I feel I know them well enough (both 10k+ posters) to know they wouldn't do that.

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  14. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

indeed............. but money is a great motivator! and i feel it has spured me further than i would otherwise have got over the last few years!
    *Money is not everything, But it sure makes life easier and your bank manager more friendly!:twisted:

15. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

err...no...he wrote 'likely'!

LOL, LMAO or ROFL or whatever!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  16. Col

Col Byte Poster

Been following this thread with interest and just thought I'd throw in my two cents (why do I say that? I'm not even American!) Sure, money is a great motivator but it's not the be all and end all. If all you want to do is make bucketloads of cash, surely you'd be better off training to become a stockbroker or somesuch soulless bollocks. I'm currently working in journalism and I earn an OK wage and I fully expect to take a significant paycut when (or is that if?) I get to make the move to IT. But basically I know that I'll be more interested in and more motivated by a career in IT and I've kind of got to the stage where that's more important than pulling down megabucks for a job I don't give a damn about. Basically, I think I'm saying it's better to be happy and fulfilled than to be rich. But some may disagree and that, of course, is also cool...

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  17. greenbrucelee

Agreed and repped.

18. BosonMichael

...over and over and over and over again.

But dude... HE'S POSTED ALL THIS BEFORE!!! :blink If those "someone elses" want to read the other umpteen posts he's posted on this subject, they can do so! Perhaps your picture is a bit incomplete... you should probably take a look at his other posts I linked.

I'll tell you what I tell everyone else: if you don't like how I post, you can click that little ! in the upper right-hand corner. But I've broken no forum rule. And **nine** other people on this forum have given me an "electronic thanks" (called reputation points) for my post (with two of them thanking me twice in the thread). According to them, I said what needed to be said.

What??? Your post makes absolutely no logical sense. Are you sure you're on the same page as everyone else? The guy is asking which business sectors pay better, and I said that it doesn't matter whether a certain sector pays better or not, because IF there are higher salaries, there are reasons for it, generally based on several negative factors. That's why they pay more. Has nothing to do with anyone applying themselves or not applying themselves... it has to do with the fact that his question cannot be answered with a concrete response. And further, if you'd read the paragraph that follows that one, you'll see MORE reasons why his question cannot be answered the way he wants it answered ("X sector pays more").

The only FAIL above is in your response. Now, go back to your MMORPG forums, if you wish. I'll be here, giving people useful advice despite occasional hecklers in the crowd. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  19. BosonMichael

You've also completely missed the point.

20. BosonMichael

Really? Can I really feel free to not reply to threads posted by you? Oh, thank you for your permission!!!

On second thought... nah, it's gonna take more than that to get me to stop replying to your threads. Dude, I've more-or-less let you be for more than TWO YEARS while you posted post after post after post about salary and jobs and career dissatisfaction, and we give you the same advice time after time. Enough is enough, and I've called you out. Sorry if it hurts your feelings, but you need to stop asking questions and start listening to what we've already said.

If you want to keep asking them, go ahead and keep asking them. But don't getcher feelings hurt when I post the same responses.

EDIT: I think this thread is just about done.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010