What industry pays the most for their IT staff?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Salesperson? if only, Sparky, you're the jack of all trades... sales is just another thing you do on the side to keep yourself occupied 8)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

But in all seriousness... IT definitely has potential for making money, but that's something that you have to earn over time... doesn't matter where you work really... And yes sure on average certain industries have better pay scale but there are always advantages and disadvantages... you're call mate!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It could be your second career :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Really? News to me - having worked for the Police in a senior systems level role - and taken a pay cut to do so - and moved for 10k pa more into my current role

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. dr_fmj

dr_fmj Bit Poster

I don't see anything wrong with him talking about salary and pay in different industries. It is as though some people on here get insulted. I can't answer your question man but keep asking them as forums are for discussion.

6. jamesclimax

jamesclimax Nibble Poster

Boson and Zebulebu repped

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: MCTS 70-659, Oracle, SQL, ITIL
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's nothing wrong about asking about salary and pay. There's absolutely something wrong about asking about salary and pay over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Did you even read my post? Or did you just immediately take offense on his behalf? :rolleyes:

Zeb, may I borrow your sig graphic?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. chrismaddox3d

chrismaddox3d New Member

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There doesn’t seem to be any mention of the persons commercial experience etc.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Fecking nail on the fecking head with the above from BM! Also, in most cases the LUCRATIVE salary attracts the HIGHER debt ratio! Don't fall for it! I know I keep going on about debt but seriously, it's a fecking killer when the lucrative salary vanishes! Millions are going through this now!

Get a job that makes you happy and pays your LIVING costs! If you want more then learn a skill that is out of reach from the Tax man, that you enjoy and pays in cash! Never ever rely on just ONE skill to make a living! I cannot emphasise that enough! Always make sure that you have your 'drink' to make up for what the STATE takes from you! Sounds sh1t I know but people need a 'back up' skill these days!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  11. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hmmm, so if you have a CCNA and a CCNA as your second cert (?!) you can expect to make over $90K? Something looks amiss...

In all honesty, If money is your main concern then maybe you are in IT for the wrong reason. Best to pursue a career doing something you like or even love. I am not on particularly big money, but would not trade working in this industry for any other even if the money was better because it is what I enjoy. There are a lot of people in the industry and many on this forum who have taken a pay CUT to work in an area of IT that they are more interested in.

I think that these kinds of tables and average wage figures are often used by TPs to lure people into parting with their hard earned under the false hope that when they finish training, they will stroll into a £30k + job. Bottom line - if you enjoy what you do, it will show; you will advance and the money will follow.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  12. BosonMichael

Those certification salary surveys are horribly out of touch with reality. They have been as long as I've been in the IT industry. They twist the numbers in such a way to make it seem as if you can get an entry-level job and start making big bucks off the bat.

For example... I make pretty good money, and I have the A+. Does that mean that you can expect to earn even CLOSE to my salary with an A+? Absolutely not! :biggrin

Another example... I've been in IT for about 12 years, and I've been "messing with" computers for 30 years. Does that mean that you can make what I make if you go out and get all the certifications I have? Good luck with that... because employers pay me based on my experience, not just on the list of letters after my name.

Certification is a means to help you get employed... it is not a means to get you a certain salary. Sure, IT can pay well, over time... but if salary is what drives you, you're in for a rough ride, because you'll almost always be surpassed by those who truly love what they do regardless of salary.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. BosonMichael

...particularly when the CCNA + CCNP will (supposedly) get you half that at $46K. So I guess there's no point in going on to the CCNP, right? :twisted:

Another example: According to that salary survey, the A+ with the CCNA will get you $30K... but the CCNA with the MCSA will get you $25K. So surely the A+ is better than the MCSA, right?? ;)

Or how about this one?
    CCNA + MCSE = $52,625
    MCSE + CCNA = $35,500??? :blink

See, I can make these numbers say anything I want them to say. Don't buy into the hype that certification can reasonably help you make a certain salary.

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You obviously didn't read BMs reply. Nearly every post fatp has made on CF since becoming a member has been about how to make the most money in what field with what company in IT. If you are in IT for the sole purpose of making money then you wont get far.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep. Hell, I'm feelin' generous - you can keep it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

How much £££ ?

17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Loads! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually, they all pay well, it just depends on the person and their experiences and worth.

Having worked at a Pharmaceutical, Investment Bank, Insurance Broker, Hedge Fund, Charity and Central Government I can tell you that at none of those places did I feel underpaid (and btw I worked at them in that order). The Central Government position has actually been my best paid position ever, why? because over the years my experience and qualifications have improved my earning capacity, ergo my salary increases.

I have known guys come into an Investment Bank and be paid peanuts, why? because they had no decent experience. I have known guys work for charities and be paid loads, why? because they had the skills and experience required and were worth that money, at the time we knew that if we wanted someone with the skill set we needed we had to pay them the market rate.

No one type of company pays better than the other, if they need the staff and the skillset is niche or expensive then they either have to pay the market rate or not get the right person for the job, if they opt for the second then 9\10 they will have to pay someone better money later on to fix the issues that the cheaper person caused.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  19. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

How much do you earn now if you don't mind disclosing? just so I can see what a 40 year old with that much experience and certifications gets. :) (and what I can aim for).

BTW Guys, Just got a new job as a Windows Engineer managing 4000 servers or so. yaaay.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That'll be my fault.
    Every year when I fill the survey in, I put an extra couple of zeros on the end of mine.

Makes me feel better.

Sorry everyone.

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD