What has the MCDST qualification been replaced by?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by King Mustard, Oct 28, 2013.

1. King Mustard

King Mustard New Member

I was considering taking the Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician but it appears it's exams (70–271 and 70–272), which were based on Windows XP, have now been retired.

What has the certification been replaced by?

Something more expensive, no doubt :tongue

EDIT: I believe the closest is 70-680 (Windows Client > "Windows 7, Configuration") :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MCDST was replaced by (in list order):

MCITP: Consumer Support Technician on Windows Vista (not available now)
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician on Windows Vista (not available now)
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7 (will be retired on January 31, 2014)
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 (will be retired on January 31, 2014)
    MCSA: Windows 7
    MCSA: Windows 8

Unfortunately there is no direct equivalent of the MCDST, as the certification programs have changed 2 or 3 times since the old MCP/MCDST/MCSA/MCSE world...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes sadly, as Wagnerk says, the MCDST now has no direct replacement.

At the moment, the 680 is a good start, then you can decide whether to follow the Support route and sit 685 or 686 for the Admin route.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  4. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

can I just add that compared to the MCDST exams, studying for the 'basic' 70-680 course can be an horrific experience. I don't want to put anybody off, but have a look at some of the threads on the exam before you commit to it

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST