What grinds your gears!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by cisco lab rat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Sorry that was what my original post was supposed to convey :)

Define correctly?

IMO "Hi there how are you doing mate?" is perfectly fine by me. I don't know anywhere i go, other than perhaps a nice restaurant, where "sir" pops up, so it also seems to be fine by the business owners/managers around here.

And i'm glad, cos a young lad selling me a pint of milk and calling sir would just sound stupid, as it's not the way people talk anymore.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. danielno8

Maybe not in age :)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup - no big deal IMO.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I guess its just me that likes a bit of respect then whilst out and about :biggrin I guess it is a little old fashioned but I would never dream of calling someone I dont know who has not given me their name mate it would just seem really unprofessional to me. Sales guys who cold call are not doing themselves any favours by trying that trick either.

Horses for courses I suppose.:tongue

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
    Modey likes this.
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Company policy.

And I would take my business elswhere for people who called me 'mate' and I didn't know them. No I'm not some posh snob but I do have a thing about people using manners. Any company (be it a small business or a large company) that doesn't think it's important to address their customers correctly doesn't deserve my custom.

You obviously don't agree, which is fine but that's what I think.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. danielno8

I wouldn't visit Scotland on a shopping trip anytime soon then :)

...mate ;)

7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

It must just be us Scots then lol :D I use it all the time

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm a scouser, so I use 'mate' more than any other word. :) I would never call a customer that in my job though ...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  9. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Hoi, watch it!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  10. dingy

dingy Bit Poster

Funny enough, my problem is customers calling me "mate" or even worse "brother". I drive a bus and all day I'm meeting mates and brothers I didn't know I had.

Certifications: A+,N+,MCDST
    WIP: Relax
    Helen. likes this.
  11. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

How about shop keepers talking to you and trying to sell you a product whilst eating a susage roll? I wish he would have just called me mate! Only happend once, but I won't be back!

12. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Network Academy's.

Certifications: A few.
  13. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

Perhaps you should try one Rob ;-)

14. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Users who ask if there is a problem with "the system" and after much information extraction it turns out their badly written formulas in Excel don't work...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  15. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

People who are incapable of looking right at a roundabout before driving round it; instead coming to a complete halt, then turning their head noticing there is in fact nothing there and then proceeding to move off - usually into the red light we all just earned because numpty in front thinks a roundabout is a T juntion.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

People who ring up and ask if the exchange server is having problems because they haven't gotten an email in the last 10 minutes.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

A driving one for me:

People who just because your not driving 20 miles an hour over the speed limit think its ok to drive right up your behind aggressively then when you brake on purpose to test how close they are give you all sorts of abuse that you notice in the rear view mirror, then try and overtake on a single lane road with people coming in the other direction just because they are angry!

At the end of the day mate, I am in the right, you are breaking the law big time so bite me!!!:twisted:

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

They have no right to tailgate you as you say, but breaking on purpose could cause an accident and you would be held partly or possibly fully responsible if that happened.

danielno8 likes this.
  19. danielno8

To test? What about when your "test" proves they were too close and you end up in an accident?

20. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

The best thing to do in a situation like this is slow down slowly and tell them to pull over and most people will get worried and not tail gate some people may pull over and attack you maybe even kill you, but I think we can all agree it is a risk worth taking to stop someone tail gating you.

Certifications: A few.