What "flavour" of linux?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Big_nath, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I have never used linux before. What "flavour" is the best for me to have a play about with? which am i most likely to come across in a work enviroment

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm not sure which is the best version of linux, however I've always had a soft spot for Fedora Core.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Fedora is Sponsored by REDHAT, which in turn is one of the more likely linux distros you will come across in the real world (in the workplace anyway)

openSUSE 11.1 is my recommendation though as I have had more success (and fun) playing with this than Fedora. If you are just starting out with linux then you cant really go wrong with either. They also have an enterprise version which you may come across in the work environment.

Ubuntu is a favorite if you want it to just work and be simple to play around with.

Any will do for learning the basics of the command line though, which I would definitely recommend doing!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

i have also been told centOS which is apparently a clone of redhat, is centOS recommended?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

CentOS is a good choice but as mentioned before, maybe try Ubuntu (either install it or run it as a live cd to play with it) and see how you get on?

I personally like CentOS, Ubuntu, Damn Small Linux and Slax. Though in all honesty am not much of a Linux user to be fair...

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  6. Majic_Munky

Majic_Munky Bit Poster

If you are completely new to Linux, then I would recommend that you start by installing Ubuntu. My main reasons for this recommendation are:

1. Ubuntu (usually) installs very easily and usually detects most harware first time
    2. There are many entry level books available which detail using Ubuntu from the beginning (Ubuntu from Novice to Professional would be an example)
    3. Having used various Linux distros over the years, Ubuntu has by far the best online community. Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/) is the best source for information that I have come across.

4. At the end of the day Linux is Linux - especially when it is used in a server environment - ok, there are some differences, for example rpm for Redhat and apt-get for Debian based distros (of which Ubuntu is one), but generally you will find that once familiar with one distro you will find it fairly easy to hop onto another flavoured box.

HTH

Certifications: BSc, A+, N+
    WIP: Lots!
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Unix :D

Most people like fedora and ubuntu.

Though I still think Unix is the best OS ever.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Another vote for OpenSUSE for me too. Nice and simple whilst still being a 'real' Linux distro. Ubuntu is too much like Windoze for me - if I want point & click I'll stay with MS, thanks - who do it 'properly'

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

That's broadly why I recommend openSUSE/Fedora etc. to people who want to actually learn to use linux via the command line etc. Ubuntu is great for people who just want something to work and aren't interested in using anything but the GUI.

To be fair though, there is nothing in Ubuntu that stops you from using the CLI so you can't go far wrong with any!

Try some live CD's and pick the prettiest one ;)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

None of them, Windows all the way! :biggrin

Only kidding mate. I have supported Fedora core on a couple of networks before migrating to a Windows domain.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Majic_Munky

Majic_Munky Bit Poster

Its all very welll recommending 'real' linux distros - in which case I would have recommended Slackware or Debian. The OP hasnt used Linux before - to say 'go learn Debian' isnt really constructive is it?

Linux is Linux - you dont have to use a WM. I should think that KDE and Gnome are probably 'too much like windoze' for you too. What do you use? Fluxbox?

My recommendation is still ubuntu - you have 2 choices to make it do what you want - command line or GUI. If you still have problems there is a great online community waiting to help you.

12. Majic_Munky

Majic_Munky Bit Poster

If you ssh'd to my ubuntu box would that be too much like windoze for you?