What firewall would u reccomend for server 2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raffaz, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just wondering what firewalls are compatible with server 2003, coz ive tried a few and it wont install them. Cheers

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Server 2003 comes with its own built in firewall, simillar to XP's, but if you want a 'propper' firewall then you are going to have to pay for it.

Hareware firewalls are much better than their software equivallents, as they don't drain system resources. Which ones have you tried so far?

3. Raffaz

ive tried mcaffee so far, ive got a hardware one built into router. Dont mind paying for a decent one tho.

4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I've had experiences with Sonicwall, Watchguard and Fortinet, but I like my Cisco Pix firewall. Yes, it's expensive, but worth it.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Is this for a home setup, or a business one?

For a business one then I like either Symantec or Cisco, but they cost. If at home then the one that you are using on your router 'should' suffice.

6. Raffaz

its just for home

7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you have been trying to install personal, software firewalls on a server many of them won't work even if they will install. I tried that with 2000 quite a while back and it ended up being one very screwed up mess. I ended up reinstalling two servers because of it. Don't know what all happened but at that time I couldn't figure it out. It was easier to just rebuild my servers.

You're better off with a cable/dsl router/firewall and just running it. If you're not satisfied with that try putting a box with something like Astaro between your modem and your router. It's an enterprise level Linux firewall which Astaro says you can download and install for free for home use. You have to create an account and register it for your home, but I don't think you're going to find anything quite like it in free firewalls elsewhere.

It comes with its own hardened Linux OS and is a pretty amazing product. d-Faktor told me about it a couple of years ago and said, if I remember correctly, it was used at one of the corporations d-Faktor worked for. It's not only free, setting it up teaches quite a bit about enterprise level firewall configuration at the same time.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Raffaz,

A Cisco PIX. :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  9. Raffaz

cheers for the advice. Where would i get hold of this cisco package and what kind of price is it? Cheers

Mick

10. Raffaz

Would probably think about that, but cash is a bit tight at the mo, so will need to put that on hold.

Mick

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Which PIX do you have?

I've got a 506E - but its been replaced on my LAN by my Netscreen (netscreens are inifintely better IMHO).

I liked my 506 when I had it, but they're prone to memory leaks - about once every three months or so, for absolutely no reason, it just used to flatline. It wa really quick as well - it went from hero to zero in about 15 minutes flat. I think PIX's are prone to the same sort of memory leaks that Borderware used to be prior to 6.2.

Course, it might have something to do with me never upgrading the IOS on it...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Amen to the above.

A software firewall should never be run on a server, under any circumstances. I presume you're running a server to prepare you for 'the real world'? If you are, then trust me, running a software f/w on it is a mistake, as you will NEVER see this out in the wild.

Those little NAT router/switch boxes are incredible - swallow the pill and get a WRT54G off EBay for, like, 30 quid. that's a small price to pay for the invaluable protection they offer.

Oh - BTW - please tell me you're not running server as your main 'workstation' :rolleyes:

:D

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We use a Cisco PIX 515E and an ISA Server as DMZ.
    Fantastic.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Running Astaro on a dedicated box with no more traffic than a home network creates you would be able to get by with very outdated hardware. Anything with more than 400 mhz cpu and 256 megs of ram would most likely run it very comfortably.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1