What do you want from Santa this year?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by CliffG, Dec 7, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im just happy with the way things are... two years ago i was back in zimbabwe and xmas wasnt that fun... when you on stand-by to be evacuated out of your home cause a knob doesnt like you! Thank god we out of there and i appreciate the fact i can actually celebrate xmas again!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Christmas this year will hopefully be lots of fun :)

Last year, I got dumped, and had a cancer scare myself. The a-ok was a pukka New Year present.

I've asked Santa for a DFI LanParty motherboard. In return, I've promised to buy my boyfriend a remote control helicopter, amongst other items.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

A remote control helicopter, now that would be cool. :biggrin 8)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  4. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Glad things are working out better for you, Arroryn!
    Hope you have a wonderful and blessed Christmas season. :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've debated whether or not to join in this conversation. Usually, when I tell people that I don't celebrate Christmas, it pretty much puts a wet blanket on the whole thing. Part of it is that my wife and kids are Jewish but there's more to it than that.

We used to celebrate Christmas, both with our families of origin (my wife wasn't raised either religiously or culturally Jewish) and later, when we got married. After coming to faith and looking into the Jewish origins of that faith, we didn't see any biblical justification for Christmas.

Amazingly, it wasn't hard to give up...even for our children who were quite young at the time. We do celebrate the Hebraic holidays (Passover, Shavuoat, Sukkot, and the High Holy Days) which in fact do have biblical origins, so it's not like we don't have times of gathering together and enjoying ourselves.

We also celebrate Channukah but it's a minor holiday so even if there's gift giving, it's pretty light. Since Hebraic holidays are calculated on a lunar calendar, they fall on different days each year. This year, Channukah falls on December 25th so I guess we'll be celebrating the miracle of the lamps at the same time everyone else is doing Christmas.

Hope that wasn't too much of a downer.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

On the contrary; alternative views should be welcomed and respected. I over-indulge in Christmas - I confess this whole-heartedly. It's sadly the one time in the year my rather large family gathers under one roof.

I think the coolest thing about that is that you and your family (children) haven't been drawn into the commercial entrapment of the festive season. A lot of people's accounts take a hammering, and the TV is bloated with commercials for toys and games.

Power to the man :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Trip, I don't think the majority of people in the UK do celebrate Christmas in the true sense i.e. to celebrate the birth of Jesus. It has become just another holiday, another excuse for a few beers with friends and family and to pig out. Kids are more interested in Santa and what new PC games they will get than The New Testament.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm getting a Buffalo Linkstation for my main crimbo pressie which is a network storage and Print Server in one. How sad that I'm looking forward to wiring it up on crimbo. Also getting a saitek mouse and keyboard off my lass again sad but makes me happy...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

My pressie to me is my TFT, bought last week (and in use already) - funded by myself through homers. Missus Jak's chrimbo will be funded similarly, and we will concentrate on making sure our wee one has a special day, and spend time with our whole family.

Agreed with the thoughts about others, but I also like the balance of giving to those close to you as well. I agree Freddy - giving is better than receiving.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity