What do you think?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by flex22, Sep 4, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Reports to:System Support Manager

Job Summary:

The System Support Engineer will install and support the Trust's computer hardware and software together with the Trust's network infrastructure.Many of the duties will involve lifting of computer equipment.

Main Duties and Responsibilities

- Install, upgrade and repair PC's and servers, load applications and connect to network.

- Assist and support users throughout the Trust with PC hardware and software problems, including printers and other peripherals.

- Assist with support of PAS and other systems.Diagnose problems and liaise with Suppliers' technical support staff.

- Install and support the following as required:
    MsExchange E-Mail, Server and Client.
    Access to NhsWeb based applications.
    Firewall and secure access system.
    Results reporting to GP practices and other messaging initiatives.

- Maintain current anti-virus software throughout the Trust.

- Configure and support LAN and WAN infrastructure (fibre, UTP, inter-site links, link to NhsNet)
    Install, configure and support switches, hubs, routers, bridges, terminal servers, print servers.

- Monitor network traffic and diagnose network problems using network management tools.

- Maintain asset register.

- Maintain library of procedures.

- Carry out general computer room 'housekeeping' tasks including system backups.

- Participate in out-of-hours support rota as required.

- Carry out other tasks as directed by the Systems Support Manager.

Maintain up -to-date knowledge of the following:

- Departmental risk management documentation, and comply with all Trust and departmental risk management procedures and directives.

- Keep up to date with current I.T and networking technologies.

That's it.

What do you think.I value your opinions and would appreciate guidance on this.

What's your impression of the role.

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

They're looking for a wide skillset there for a lot of responsibilities and

is a world of pain all on it's own. It's one of the main things a mate of mine is responsible for and he's pulling his hair out daily.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the reply Phil.

Your very honest and that is the way to be.

I have a boring job but I get to study the rest of day.

Am I ready for this big job? Not likely

Do I need experience? Yes

Is part-time work good for study? Yes

These are just some questions.

Now I am like your friend.I am pulling my hair out.

4. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

I would suggest that you apply for it Flex for the following reasons:

1) It sounds like quite a good first rung job with plenty of variety and lots of experiance building hands-on type stuff.

2) it's still an employers market out there we all need to maximise our chances by appling for as many jobs as possible.

3) Applying for the job does not commit you to anything, even if you only think you may be interested in the job the interview experiance will be helpfull in the future.

having said all that it really is up to you to decide. I think Sandy works for the NHS so perhaps he could be of some help?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I have been thinking the same Luton.

Although there is a lot of stuff which I don't know, when I look at the role as a whole, it does seem like a very good starter role.

I wish I was further ahead in my studies because this would be ideal.

I have decided to apply for it at least.That is my decision for now.

I am looking for transcendence through thought alone, instead of gaining wisdom through actions.

This is my wrangling paradigm. :hhhmmm

6. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

I'm afraid you will have to re-do that last bit in English for the hard of thinking (me!!)

Anyway good luck with it and keep us posted.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Flex

You might have the pleasure of talking to me from time to time in that role. :idea:

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Brilliant.I never knew you worked for the NHS.

Excellent.

Can you give me an idea of what the systems engineers are like.I mean, I'm presuming that you speak with them on the phone/email etc.

Are they all MCSE.Is this a prerequisite.

I'm not far off completing my studies for 70-210 and 70-215.

Do I have a chance, in your opinion.

Should I even go for this at this stage in my studies.

All the advice you can give would be most helpful.

9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Flex

I do have the pleasure for working in the NHS.

Considering there are thousands of IT people working for the organisation and they are all different answering your first question is impossible. Some are MCSE most are not. UNIX, Linux, Windows 2000 NT & 9X, Novell are all used so there is a huge mix of skills. My area of work sees me working on machines all over the UK from my desk. Doing everything from sorting out printing problems, advising harware engineers of hard disk failures, sorting out Exchange to advising sites on Active Directory and Network Design

I'd encourage everybody to apply to work in this amazing organisation.

10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Right on :thumbleft :iagree

I've seen some computer guys around the hospital.

I know this sounds really judgemental, but some of the more junior members of staff I see wondering about seem a bit lost sometimes.

One of them was standing by a lift with a dell laptop in a box.I said jokingly "hey mate, I'll give you a fiver for it"

he said "No, I'm sorry I couldn't sell it to you, it's not mine and it's worth more than a fiver"

I was like, oh ok, it was a joke actually.

I'm not saying their all dim by any means, most of them are sound people, but seeing as they employed that guy, my confidence has risen.

Success this way please :arrow:

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Gee, if the commute wasn't so brutal, I'd consider applying for the job myself. :D Do it, flex.

Certifications: A+ and Network+