What do you think about this one?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by flex22, Sep 20, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Trainee Infrastructure Analyst

"Working in our busy IT Department, this role will be to assist our system users on a day-to-day basis on all PC and networking matters.The successful candidate must be keen and helpful with a willingness to learn.PC and networking experience would be preferred, but this is not essential.This is an excellent opportunity to progress your career inIT, and to gain new skills in a dynamic environment."

That's it.

I've applied at this place before for a more senior position but got a "no thanks" letter back.They seem like nice people though, their last letter was very appreciative of my interest.

The jobs only a bus ride away, on the other side of town.

What do you think about this one?

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'll be right over to put in my application. :D Sounds like a great entry-level gig.
    That's great. Every ad I've seen in my neck of the woods says something like: "...two to five years of experience necessary" for jobs that want you to do everything at an extremely meager salary. The only problem you have is that everybody looking to get into IT is going to apply for this one. Hang in there, buddy. The key to this one is to convince them that you're a real "go getter", hard worker, "burn-the-candle-at-both-ends" kind of guy.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Go for it Flex. Like Trip says if you can get across that you’re the man for the job and you’re more than willing to learn you stand a better chance of landing the job.

When I got my first job in IT as a tutor I did a lot of hours unpaid, it sounds stupid but I wanted to get into the industry and it was my chance so I did all I could for the company. I stayed a few hours a night extra during the week and even did a few Saturdays a month to help clear the workload, but it got me a secure job and it got me into the IT arena.

If you make interview you could say that you’re willing to go in for a week’s trial before they make a decision on employing you. I did that too and they took me up on the offer, but it landed me the job. The boss told me that after about 4 months in.

So get your CV brushed up and apply.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. rodeo

rodeo Bit Poster

Yeah good luck man, let us know of the outcome. Best of luck.

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

100% Go for it, Flex - you've got to try for your chance. You know that we're all behind you on this one. Make sure you know as much as you can about the company before the interview.

And just enjoy it, and treat it as experience as well :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Go for it Flex, it sounds ideal. You must be a couple of steps ahead of most of the other applicants with all the studying you've done. Just show them how keen you are to learn, are willing to do anything they throw at you, all combined with your studying at home and you'll stand out.

We currently have a similar position open, unfortunately it's a bit far for you to commute since it's in Londonderry. Still willing to relocate Trip ? :D

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

This was ages ago now, last September.

Thanks for the encouragement.Didn't get this one though.
    But at least I can go to bed knowing "they'll keep me on file"
    Yep makes me feel really great :D

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Woops - I never noticed the date on this :oops: Just assumed it was a new post.

Oh well, main thing is your still trying out there, Flex.

You're time will come :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

:oops: me too, keep plugging away at it flex. It'll come to.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  10. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Looks like a good role and a good entry level position.

Looks like you would learn alot from this kind of role so i'd go for it!

But be prepared for some tough competion, as entry level jobs like this get swamped with applicants.

Good luck!! :)

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA