What do you guy's think?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by punkboy101, Dec 21, 2004.

1. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi all

Just wondering if I could ask what you think about the following. Any advice/comments would be usefull!!

I had an interview yesterday, and they asked allot of questions about my current company/job/boss. I expected some, as they're are alway's one or two, but yesterday there seemed to be a load.

Now, as some of you may have guessed, I hate my job, my boss, and my 1 co-worker (he's a salesman :x lol)

I constantly have to battle to get my pay, normally underpayed, so I have to chase to get the money for the hours I haven't been payed for, niether of them have any technical knowledge, or will to learn.

They make promises to customers for me that can not be kept, so I am constantly trying to dodge ackward customer questions.

In a nutshell, I'm stressed, underpayed, under appreciated (lol), overworked, and generally treated like a chump.

Now, the above is why i am leaving, and during most interviews I can "skirt" the subject without too much of a problem, but it's when they start asking more questions, and more indepth questions that I get worried.

I know that you should never bad mouth your current employer to a potential employer, but I also don't really fancy lying through my teeth to make the company sound ok (which it is not). What do you think that the besat course of action is? Lie (wether it's a whooper or a little white one, it's still a lie if you ask me!) or tell the truth?

I've tried to find some middle ground, however I would like some other prespective's on this.

BTW, just so you know, the company went through a total of 8 techs (who left in disgust, as i later found out) months. I joke not when i say this is the most mickey mouse outfit I've ever seen.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Hmm
    i think
    and i may get shot down for this, but you know me :)

i think in this extreme, go the other way, tell them exactly the whole truth, let them know what you are putting up with and your not just quitting for petty reasons, try and emphasize how long you have tried to put up with it, in the hopes that progress might be made, but to no avail and try not to paint to negative a picture of the people, but of the company and its procedures that are causing the problems (i know it might be the people, but ya gotta have some leg room) :)

thats just my 2c, and you knwo what im like! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Can't really argue with what Ryan said m8. If you are asked directly then I think you have got to tell it like it is, but dressed up so that it is not slagging your current employer off.

Just my 2p worth as well

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'd tend to go along with that too Phoenix. Try to tell as much of the truth as possible.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'll voice my agreement with the Guys too, Andy - don't bitch on your current employers, but point up such positives as you can.

It would seem unfair/unacceptable to ask too-deep questions of you about your current employers at an interview - if the prospective employer really needs to find that information, then they can surely contact your employer directly.

Sounds a bit strange, IMHO

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Yup, I'd agree with everybody else here mate. If you were over the moon with your current employer you wouldn't be looking around for another job. I'd tell it like it is, I wouldn't go overboard but from what you say the last interviewers perhaps picked up on the fact you were a lot less happy with the current clowns than you were trying to let on. They won't be too chuffed with you if they think you are trying to lie to them from the off.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  7. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

I'll agree with every one else. I expect it is okay to say that you are leaving because you are not happy with the enviroment as long as you remain professional and don't start bitching or slagging off individuals.

I'd would hope that being professional even in a difficult enviroment would hold some merit. Don't forget that they may already have an idea that your current employer is difficult to work for especially with their turnover of techies.

Highlight how you tried to adapt to the enviroment and give clear reasons as to why you are not happy working with your current employer, as their reputation may have preceeded you.

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  8. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

In this case, I would tell the truth - but as was said above don't go over the top on the bitching. Keep it professional.

Please be careful, though, when it comes to references. Ensure you select someone in your current position who will give you a good one because if you tell the truth & have a bad reference, potential employers may not believe what you are telling them.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  9. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Many thanks for the advice guy's!! [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada