What do YOU get the most...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...joy out of doing in your job?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Helping people... no, seriously... let me finish... helping people... and them saying thank you. :)

If someone says thank you, then I feel more inclined to go that extra yard to help them the next time they have a problem.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Creating something that will increase someone's knowledge and ultimately help someone's career.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't think "joy" really applies, but I get the most satisfaction when I can grasp a new technology or skill set well enough to complete a set of tasks. The developers have been tinkering around with my process this week, causing more than a little anxiety, but I've managed to learn enough of the commands they're tossing my way to at least get the job done and generate my output (primarily PDF and HTML). This makes the job more efficient for them and ultimately will for me, once I get the changes made to how my content is organized.

"Joy" seems almost an "extreme" word to me (yes, I'm overanalyzing, again). I feel satisfaction, happiness, comfort, and such, but "joy" seems one of those rare states that happens only in those occasional "perfect moments in time", to quote from one of the Star Trek movies. I *might* feel joy if my current temp job people said they were giving me a permanent, full-time position with a good salary and benefits and that they loved my work. Guess we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't know if you would call it joy, but I get a huge rush out of getting some difficult-to-set-up technology going. It's also a great feeling to fix a problem for someone, or explain something to them that they didn't "get" before and see the lights come on their eyes.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Helping a client to understand the ways and means of publishing and printing, which they then apply, and producing a cracking publication that gets positivlely commented on

That, and 3 hour Friday lunchtimes down t'boozer, and the fact my window overlooks Bedford Sqaure park, so I can eget qual enjoyment out not only seeing all the office-girl sunbathers, but also the local crackheads acting bizzarely at round about 11am each day

Brill :biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I get a huge boost (and joy) from talking to people about new technology, about seeing there faces light up at the possibilities that are out there, right now, with the technology they already own,

I love talking about technology they have never heard of, and helping them understand it, and then feeling something knowing that I have helped a few more people get a little more out of their technology

Most of all I love being able to surround myself with like minded people, to chat to other intelligent beings about futures, failures, problems and getting feedback from the crowd

I just got back from SocialMediaCafe in London which is a weekly gathering of a bunch of random people interested in the developments and consequences of social media, what it is changing, what it means now and in the future, and how its shifting the industry status quo, people from marketing firms, software firms, IT pros like myself, developers, entrepreneurs and the like all getting together over coffee and just networking, awesome awesome time!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Leaving at the end of the day.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

amen to that.

I personally enjoy working on a problem, and finding a solution to it. Sounds simple, but its incredibly rewarding to be stuck trying to figure out how to achieve something in development, and hitting upon a way to do it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Can you come and tell my Editorial staff what printing involves then? god knows I have tried.

Yep especially today.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Giving the Kids a bloody good bollocking for trying to by-pass the proxy server/filtering

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well said...

Time for beer :alc

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I like getting tips. Over the years i have had many tips in addition to the payment of my bills, sometimes a bottle of wine or a cake or a box of free range eggs. I think that really shows some appreciation for the work i have put in 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Helping people. Seriously, I like to wipe that frantic look off of people's faces - we've all seen it before - and replace it with a look of relief, that things were handled calmly and effectively.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm still not in my ideal job, so at the moment, I would say putting my coat on to go home. The ladies I am working with are a great laugh, a little bonkers at time, however the job isn't very challenging. It isn't an IT job, hence my saying it isn't my ideal job.

At the moment my mindset is it pays the bills and I would rather be working than sat at home getting my job seeker's allowance every fortnight and getting depressed that I cannot find anything and wondering if my money is going to last the full fortnight.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

knowledge, experience and a sense of achievement. i see every job as a stepping stone to the next

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  17. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Directly from work: helping users, resolving users' problems as well as problems that are more behind the scenes but still related to IT. Also, helping/teaching/coaching the new engineers that have just joined the team (4 in total).

From being in IT: learning more, increasing my knowledge.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The appreciation from management, customer and end user satisfaction and most importantly because I love what I do regardless:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell