What do you do when you dont know how to fix a problem?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

if its something you are unfamiliar with but client is on the phone waiting for you to provide the resolution.. What do you do? I need tips? I cant keep freestyling and creating non-existant IT words, theres only some many times I can say the problem is with the internal Talula external viper server.

2. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

If you have no clue about the device/application or whatever it is the client needs help with then back away. But if you understand how the thing works and is supposed to work then you look into the event log, manuals and of course google. Chances are someone might have had a similar problem.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), Network+, MCSA:2003, MCTS:Win7,640,642
    WIP: 70-410
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Explain that you need to get back to them, that you can't provide an answer straight away and need to investigate it further, then google it or speak to colleagues.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA