"What did you learn at work today, Jimmy?"

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Oct 21, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I learned that getting to work early before all hell breaks loose can give you a leg up on getting organized.

I learned that some city agencies don't open until 8:30 a.m., frustrating their PC technicians who arrived to do some work at 8:15 a.m.

I learned that installing proprietary application can be a problem if you didn't take decent notes on the process when watching your mentor do it. I had to call in my boss to help.

I learned to always take my tools with me rather than discover I needed them to install some hardware and had to go back to my car to get them.

I learned that instructions don't always tell the whole story and sometimes, installing devices can be a whole lot harder than the instructions make out.

I learned that it's harder to install a scsi scanner than it looks. I still have to go back and fix a problem from this morning.

I learned that it's always good to keep a sandwich in your tool bag since projects away from the office (and my lunch) can take longer than planned.

I learned that just because a network can look one way the week before, it might not look the same way a week later...especially with the telephone tech has been there to install IP phones and thus, monkeyed around with the cabling.

I learned that, just because you are there to do a particular job...a job whose characteristics and details were laid out by the user, doesn't mean that the user can't think of other stuff they want done "while you're here" whether you brought the appropriate equipment with you or not.

I learned that trying to figure out someone else's system of documentation can be a real pain and trying to duplicate it can be even worse.

I learned that some problems solve themselves. A guy at a city golf course called saying that he couldn't print under his own network account but could print under the golf course's generic account. I was getting ready to go over when he calls back saying "oops". He'd installed another printer the day before and it had set itself as the default. He wasn't printing to his usual printer and had neglected to check the new one. Problem solved.

I learned that people can walk into your office 15 minutes before quitting time with idea about what they'd like you to do that will take more than 15 minutes. Fortunately, it can wait until tomorrow.

I learned that no matter how hard you try to clear up a backlog of work, someone else's priority will always bump it back.

How was your day?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

:lol: :lol:

Sounds like you have the life of a full grown tech now Trip. Don’t you just love the job, if you can get all that right then everyone will love you. If you don’t, well you know how users can get. "James can you just...?", "James did you get chance to....?" "James do you have 5....?" (repeat to fade)

My favourite:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like you've landed Trip though you haven't met my favourite yet then...... All they want is to move their department 20 ft from over here to over there, never mind that there's no desks there, no structured cabling there, no power, not enough PC's and not enough switch ports and they're spitting the dummy because it can't be done tomorrow. Users who think they're important, you gotta love em :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade