What did you do before you worked in IT?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Sep 9, 2008.

1. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I was prepared for everything except getting blown part way through a wall by a natural gas explosion. I'd go back to kitchen work if I was physically able to. It's my first love.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  2. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Crikey - you've hit the highs and the lows there! I would love to work as a programmer. But nothing in the world ever ever ever would make me want to be a night shift taxi-driver!

WIP: 70-271
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

We all say that, however eventually you get to the point where you will do jobs that you never ever wanted to do, just to pay the bills.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Indeed Wizard. I note that you are also unemployed. Let's hope that neither of us has to sink too low. I have promised myself that I never want to go back into Sales. I hope that this comes true, but last time I made that promise I ended up in telemarketing.

I just joined the Open University network on Facebook, by the way!

R

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have already been at a lower point than I am at the moment, however I have not reached my lowest point yet, there is still a safety net in place.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Before doing IT was a full time student. I started off going to college right after high school and only stayed there for one semester and then I switched to the trade school/vocational school for IT, I graduated after about 1 year and 4 months got my diploma and I've been working in IT ever since. I did have a part time job working at a local grocery store and a video store like blockbuster which I hated, couldn't stand the hours like 6pm-12am and then the next morning 11am-8pm, etc. I guess I would never be good at doing grave yard shifts.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

I could do with a safety net as well. Unfortunately I am a bit of an idealist so I tend to myself "next job will be far better than all others". The trouble with idealism in my experience is that it tends to result in - you've guessed it - telemarketing.

8. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I was never much good at Sales. The good thing about taxiing is you get to speak to a lot of different people without having the pressure to 'sell' them something. I have listened to a few 'life-stories' in my time, and its like being a social worker at times. I could not imagine ever doing Sales! Taxiing also allows you to study whilst waiting between fares, which is a big advantage. It has helped me get through three computer certifications, and I have read a lot of other books outside of computing as well. :biggrin:study

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Whilst not trying to sound demeaning, IMO there was nothing better than the 'mindless jobs' I used to do - in the respect that you could do them, do them well, but not give two hoots about them when clocking off time came. Labouring, forklift driving, a kiddie job on ice cream vans - fun, satisfying, no need to take your work home.

With IT, it seems I'm constantly working. Even writing this, I'm not looking at the screen - I'm looking across at my mail traps (hurrah for two monitors!)

Sales was a sado-masochistically good job.

A target-driven pressure environment would be hellish, sure. But my-oh-my, don't helpdesk users pale in comparison to the abuse you get hurled down the phone at you when you're trying to cold-call someone? :biggrin

In all seriousness, when I worked in sales, I wasn't target-driven, and even if I were, it wasn't a 'chase sales' environment. The level of order processing was that high that oftentimes I'd have to leave orders to the next day to input them. But only if I knew they needed delivering later on in the week of course :rolleyes:

But the time-pressure of getting stuff processed really helped me with regards to dealing with workloads on the helpdesk. Which is why I try to say to people who have no IT experience that there are really rafters of skills you use in your day-to-day jobs and lives that can count towards experience on a helpdesk, if you sit for a minute and think about the skills that need to be applied.

Even the manual labour job helped.

Q: "You're a woman. You do know how heavy CRTs are, don't you?"
    A: "You did read on my CV that I used to pack concrete slabs for a living, right? ..."

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...Was into athletics and county champ at a few things so was gonna take that direction but got fed up of all the training...

...So Finished A-levels....was going to do a degree in Journalism (As loved English Language and Lit, writing, poetry)...but took a year out and did night shifts at a computer centre doing disaster recovery...

...then randomly went and did an HND in Health and Beauty (long story i'd rather forget)

...hated the HND/ beauty industry (but finished it nevertheless) and used the qualifications to work in a Laser company (Lightsheer diode)....but disagreed with some of the safety proceedures the company were using and also felt like I wasn't going anywhere...

...so decided to get back into IT and went to a company to do basic data entry...moved onto a bigger company to do first line....left them after 3 years for a smaller company...learned LOADS as they down-sized and the smaller they got the more I took on...then after 2 and a bit years the company went into liquidation and, after a few job offers (yay) and a lot of decision - making, I am a kind of first/second/third line support come network admin come hardware technician assistant type person.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE