What connection type/product/package do you use to access the Internet?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by drum_dude, Mar 2, 2005.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi all,

Just interested to see what type of Internet connection we all use to access our fave site :eek: CertForums.co.uk :p ?

I'm with Telewest Blueyonder on their 2mbit package. In a perfect world it would give me 2048kbits down and a measly 256kbits up! In other words 256kbytes down 32kbytes up!

I'm happy with the product and mainly use it for P2P stuff, newsgroups and some kick ass online games of Unreal Tournament GOTY!

For online gaming I usaully get a ping of about 30-40 on a good european UT server.

Blueyonder Newsgroups always give me a good speed - about 246kbytes per sec...

As for P2P, well that just depends on everyone elses upload speed I suppose.

So what does everyone else have? And what do u do with it?

Cheers

Sacha

Admin Edit: Moved to Internet forum

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

NTL here (when its working)

1.5mb downstream 256kb upstream. Normally cuts out between 6pm and 8pm weekdays, 7pm-12am weekends. Find them to be completly useless and if i wasnt such a lazy git, i would replace it with a decent ISP.

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I'm on ISDN now thank heavens. As you know that gives me a full on 128K (2x64k) internet experience :biggrin May not impress you much eh? But fot the past three years I have been stuck on a 28K dial up.

No broadband in my neck of the bush yet!

You guys, you don't know ya born. Lucky gits :rolleyes:

I don't play on-line games but I have checked out those News Groups :eek: Nearly made my hair fall out!

Cheers,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

In that case, we'd have to call you "Baldrinse" :tongue

I am so going to die for that one. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm on a 1MB/256k Business (20:1) package from Bulldog, who I am not too pleased with, so I will be moving once my month is up

I do the majority of my stuff at work on the 3x 100MB lines though, and I have been known to get over 5MB a sec from microsoft.com :D

at home I get a constant 120k which is pretty much capping my line
    dont download much whilst playing games though, as it keeps my latancy below 80 :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have a 1Mb connection with a company called Central Point. been pleased with them so far, had some problem but nowt major or even I couldnt fix meself. use it alot for downloading and playing online games so very useful.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Wanadoo 1Mbps, 2GB monthly limit.
    Been pretty good, no dropped connections & speed usually top notch.

Had NTL 600k service in a house at uni, that wasn't so good, especially at weekends.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

256k up and down through a provider called Velocitus (I'm in the US, remember?) Only on glitch since I set it up and cycling the power on the DSL "modem" did the trick. I've got two PCs and two laptops sharing the connection with no worries. "Modem" does wireless so my son and I are free to roam the house.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

750K with NTL. Been with them for 4 years and never had a problem. Think I've only had 2 or 3 outages in that time :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well, I'm over the moon to say that this is the first post I'm making with my new (and first ever) 1 Meg ADSL connection !!!! WOOOHOOO :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

I got a PAYG deal - 1 Meg, 2Gb cap, then £1.50 per Gig after that - will do me fine at the mo.

Oh, I'm gonna do some serious surfing tonight !!!!! :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. BeerMatt

BeerMatt Bit Poster

750K NTL when it works , Actually it hasnt been bad lately(kiss off death there then :rolleyes: ) but like stu_c im too damn lazy to sort it out

As for gaming, i wish, working on a laptop at the mo and its just not the same :cry:

WIP: A+ Network+ MCSE
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Plusnet 512K-Unlimited. Great ISP. Never goes down and support good. :onthePC

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Same here, I've been with plusnet for the past two years now. Great support and plenty of extras, the webspace was one of the reasons I went with them. For those of you that remember the early days of CF the site was hosted at plusnet to begin with. Not very relialbe but witout having that webspace to play around with we wouldnt be here today. :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  14. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

Dial up with wanadoo, can't get broadband as I just bought a house in a newly built estate......

Certifications: N+ MCP 210
    WIP: MCSE
  15. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I use Eclipse 512K that can be "Flexed" (moved up and down at extra cost) to 1Mb if you need it. Unlimited. Static or dynamic IP addressing. Never goes down. Support is good they usually answer some of the horrid questions I ask them. The router is SpeedTouch works well but the documentation is very, very poor but has a firewall and 4 ports.

16. drum_dude

I've got the usual Motorola SurfBoard 4100 (I think) cable modem with a 4 port Linksys Wireless Router. The router is really cool to be honest! My old Linksys router kept crashing whilst using Bittorrent P2P...I was told it was something to do with the routing table being too small on the old routers!

Anyway, the new wireless one is great!!!

Cheers

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ive got a Zyxel Prestige 652 Security Router, single port, plugs into one of my switches and voila, handles multiple vpn connections, nat, routing, etc, but im thinking of replacing it with an ISA 2004 box with internal DSL modem and a few NICs for segregated networks :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  18. drum_dude

Hey...I was thinking of doing the same, but with a 28.8k dial up connection! Joke lol!!!

Sacha

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Oh man, you're so gonna make Fergal unhappy when he reads that !!!

LOL :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Actually I was using ISA for the last year connected to the net by 28.8k DUN. Believe it or not it actually does improve the percieved surfing experience. It even cached windows updates and virus updates. Made me feel like I was flying with 56K :biggrin

ISA is cool 8)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)