What Computers Should I buy To STudy A+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Professor-Falken, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I know I need to buy some computers to finish A+ certification.
    But what computers should i buy I want to make sure I have worked on the most common machines out there and will be able to work with any machine that comes my way.
    Or maybe that is unrealistic. Either way any recommendations as to which machines I should buy to practice and complete my A+ certification.

Thanks,

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Simple. Don't buy one, build your own.

The A+ is about learning computer hardware, right? So why not go out and buy all of the parts you need and put together your own. You'll learn a lot more than if you just bought one.

If you are not sure what parts are compatable (sp?) then just ask at your local computer shop, I'm sure they'll be happy to help, and you may even get a few £ knocked of the price for buying all of the parts from them at once.

8)

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The A+ isn't that specific if you are talking about PC manufacturers. There aren't any questions that differentiate between a Dell and HP PC. You are mainly learning about hardware components, how to install them, replace them and troubleshoot them. Installing a stick of RAM is the same task on most computers. Sure, the slots will be located on differnet part of the motherboard, but as long as you know what a RAM slot looked like, you won't be trying to stick a RAM module in a PCI slot. :wink:

Just pick up a couple of inexpensive, older PCs and have fun. I don't even remember this issue occurring to me when I was studying for the A+ and as many different machines as I've been inside of, I've never encountered one that seemed to be very different than the rest.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yup, all pretty much the same
    one processor, dual processor, 256mb pc100, 4gb ECC DDR 2700, 10gb IDE disk, 400GB SCSI RAID 5 array, if you know the parts, you know the drill
    buy the parts
    put em together
    job done

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok, ok...point taken Phoenix. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

then get mike meyer's A+ Books they seem the best to help building PC's! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I was mearly pointing out that it all sounds far worse than it is
    at the end of the day a 70'000 quid wintel server has the same stuff in it as a 2000 quid wintel server, albiet perhaps more and or better :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0