What certs to do while waiting to goto uni?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by lynxe, May 8, 2012.

1. lynxe

lynxe Bit Poster

Hi all,

I have a year to kill and decided I should maybe get some certs to make my CV look a tiny bit better as it's completely empty.

I want a job in computing and my degree will be in "IT and Computing", nothing specific as I'll be doing it from Open University.

That is another year away so I was wondering if there are any certs I should try and get now while I have the time?
    I don't want any that will expire (I remember reading that you have to re-take exams for some certs every so often?).

I also love to design/develop websites so if there is any certs in that that would be awesome too, but right now I'll do anything that'll make me look more employable.

I already have a good knowledge of basic computing, web developement but not so much with networking/programming but I am willing to do anything to spice up the CV while I have the time.

Would love to hear some suggestions, thanks!

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The best way to spice up any CV is to get some work experience on it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Yeah, work experience is the killer for that. Basic certs to take would be A+ and N+, but by the time you finish your degree, it will be woefully out of date (and I think you have to recertify after 3 years with CompTIA these days)

Don't bother with certs for web development, as you either can or you can't, with web development. However, learning something like the MVC or design patterns or something like that would be beneficial to your CV, your web development (if it is development, and not just HTML coding), and also to your degree, as I notice a lot of degree courses based around Computer Science (which is very different to IT), cover this now.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would say look into the MTA certifications from Microsoft, the only downside is that it has to be renewed every 5 years - but by then you should have finished Uni and have gotten a job and working toward the MCTS level of certs.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Like so many have said before me try and get some experience if your interested in web design/development why not buy your own web space and build a couple websites for friends / family play around with web language you haven't tried before.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'd just buy a couple of good books and use the time brushing up on your web design.
    Get some practice, learn something like CSS or Javascript.

It'll stand you in better stead than a cert.
    They don't really work for web design.
    Better off getting some experience.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

If you are wanting a web design/prgramming cert by all means it would be a good idea to get one... However where that leaves you in stead for a job I don't know. Usually in development rolls (at my place of work anyway you would require some experience in IT before they took you on).

My advice would be start at an entry point. The same place everyone does, CompTIA A+ then get a first line roll progressing within the company to work on their dev team.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+