What are you reading, what have you read and what do you recommend - discuss!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rax, Dec 4, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I will soon be reading books on the 70-290 as my 70-270 ones are of little use any more seeing as I passed it! HURRAH!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Just finished Dragondrums by Anne McCaffrey - well, finished it yesterday.

As it ran in at only 300 pages, I finished it in a day :oops:

So now onto "Ein Hut voller Sterne" with more gusto, along with its english equivalent for reference :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I have put this on my ‘to read’ list - sounds like a very good book. I have read numerous titles on religion and spirituality from a number of faiths such as Christian, Muslim, and Freemasonry and found them all well worth reading.

Impressive reading list ! I certainly got through some hefty titles during my degree studies also. As a programmer I recall as outstanding author Charles Petzold and his ‘Programming Windows’ book. Also Richard Feynman for Physics, both serious exposition (Feynman Lectures on Physics), and numerous more light-hearted books.

Sounds like an interesting novel and an interesting concept - sometimes we don’t appreciate something until its gone – then its too late.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I got 2 new books for xmas, one is Lankhmar and the other I can't remember. I was told Lankhmar was a one off read and so I decided to bring it into work for when I finish my current read "The mad ship" (2/3 of the Liveship Traders). Turns out it's 1 of 7 in the series... so.. I'm not sure I should start reading one of a set as a break from another set :rolleyes:

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Today I picked up a copy of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss. This was top of the sales charts for some time, and seeing it in a second-hand shop persuaded me to get it.

I didn't expect it to be so funny as well as serious!

Harry

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

He hee - just reading that one now. This is because Arroryn had recommended it a while ago and it went down on my Waterstones wish list - family member gave it to me for Christmas.

Is it just me, or do you find that you are constantly scanning the book itself for mistakes though? :D

The same family member also got me:

"The Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose and, "Concise Oxford English Dictionary" 2008 Edition.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

You can bet a pound to a penny that the editing of that book was slow, thorough, and done many, many times :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA