What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by VantageIsle, Jul 21, 2007.

1. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Inspired partly by a few points raised in the Harry Potter thread I am curious about what you guys like to read in your spare time.

So I’ll ask:

What book or books are you reading now? fiction and non fiction. I think it’s a safe guess most of us has some type of text book we are working through at the moment but do you read anything else?

I’ll start the ball rolling.

On the go at the moment I have:

Network+ study guide by Dave Groth
    Steal this Computer Book 4.0 by Wallace Wang
    Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Maconie

And you?

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  2. shambles

shambles Guest

Not reading much at the moment, but last proper read was the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy - Philip Pullman. Despite being 'children's books', this is a scorcher of a tale - I'm really looking forward to seeing the film (but it would be just so easy to mess up)...

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Seems to be a mixture of books, I started off with

MCDST MS Press Book for studying then when I get time on my lunch break at work:-

Buying your first house

Reccomended by a friend to read this:-
    Artemis Fowl and the Opal Deception

Then told to read this by some mates from swim club:-
    Total Immersion

and just got this through the door today:-
    Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Planning, Implementing and Maintaining Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure Training Kit (Exam 70-294)
    by J. Spealman

No wizards so far! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

IT/Career - How To Cheat at Configuring Exchange Server 2007, as well as various Prince2 and ITIL stuff.

Leisure - Neuromancer by William Gibson (had it for years and never got round to reading it)

Also just finished reading An Innocent Man by John Grisham and Lance Armstrong's autobiography

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  6. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Just started DBC Pierre: Ludmilla's Broken English
    Not sure I'm enjoying it that much... but I liked his last one, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.

IT? - Too many!! (I'm job-hunting again...)
    (Running Linux, PHP/SQL, CCNP BCMSN,.. )

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  7. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Coincidentally, me too! Finally got around to buying it off Amazon :)

For IT, it's Managing And Maintaining A Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (MS Press).

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For personal reading, it's Terry Pratchett's Disc World series of books.

For work/IT reading, it's the 101 different guides for Windows Server 2k8 :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

MsPress ADO.NET applications

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am reading Mike Meyers Allin one exam guide 6th edit

But my favorite books are Horror Stories such as Stephen Kings Christine and IT.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Crito

Crito Banned

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  13. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Just finished Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan, as well as Chainfire by Terry Goodkind.

Both are excellent, but Jordan creates more plots and loops than he resolves.

I used to mow through Fantasy, but all of these technical books (Upgrading Your Certification to Windows 2003 -- 292 & 296, for example) takes the fun out of reading sometimes. Anyone relate?

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  14. chado

chado New Member

I also used to read a lot of fantasy (big Terry Goodkind / Robert Jordan fan and recently Anne Rice) but with my grueling study plan that I push onto myself with regards to learning new areas and staying current with what I have...leisure reading makes me feel like I'm wasting time I should be spending studying.

I know exactly how you feel ;/

On a positive note Robert Jordan's next book should be coming out...the guy was close to death but still is pulling through with finishing the series. Even though his books create a lot of issues rather than finishing ongoing ones...at least there is a lot of issues going on. The last few Terry Goodkind books have really left me unsatisfied. Good books none the less, but I feel that I'd enjoy them more if I read the last 2-3 back to back as opposed to a year apart.

I'll get off the soap box now before my first post on this site turns into a book report :)

Thanks,
    Chad

Certifications: MCP, MSSBS, A+, Network+
    WIP: CISSP, MCSA:Security, CCNA
  15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Currently reading The Roaches Have No King by Daniel Evan Weiss - I love it - this is the fourth time I've read it and it still makes me laugh out loud in places.

Tech-wise I'm reading The Snort Cookbook by Angela Orebaugh. Trying to brush up on it as part of my CEH studies, and also because I've just put a homebuild snort box on the network at work and am looking at fine tuning the ruleset

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. Shepherdess

Shepherdess Bit Poster

currently Exam Cram: Practice Tests for 70-270, Sybex Study Guide for 70-270.

But I can't wait for Fables: Animal Farm and Rising Stars Vol. 2 to come to me from amazon.com.

Anyone else into comic books (or as they call them now "Graphic Novels") :) ?

WIP: MCSE, MCTS
  17. shambles

shambles Guest

I have a bit of a thing for 'Love and Rockets' and pretty much anything else by Los Bros Hernandez...

18. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

I'm currently reading:

Mike Meyers A+ book

Kenny Noye: Public Enemy Number 1

I love the documentary books on criminals and gangs, just to see what makes them tick. I little while ago, I signed up to an open university course doing Phsycology and criminalology but my mum and (now ex) g/f convinced me to give them back saying that I wouldn't have the motivation to do it :(

I recently read Mad Dog, which is the biography of a guy called Johnny Adair who managed to become the leader of the UFF fighting the IRA in Northern Ireland.

Tony Thompson wrote a book called 'Gangs' where he goes undercover and finds out how different gangs work, and has some interesting interviews with the boss's of them.

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

And for anyone wondering what Love and Rockets are Click Here :biggrin

20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I often find when reading fantasy books or thrillers/crime that halfway through the book the chapter or footnote refers to an ealier book in the series.

Sometimes the 1st book in the series is not available and you have to wait for a reprint or sometimes there are no series and until your halfway through the book there's a reference to another story.:blink

Well I found this cool website that list authors alphabeticaly and shows the cover the books and what series there in!

It's called FantasticFiction.

I would recommend it to anyone who loves books or anyone who is unsure which book they should read first!! :biggrin