What are you getting for xmas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by nugget, Dec 17, 2003.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What's everybody getting for christmas?? I hope it's better than my present. I just got fired today. The blue slip, given the boot, f@$ked in the a$$, insert your local expression here, whatever you call it. Totally unexpected. Well, my project manager finally got what he wanted, me out of the company.

"Thanks for the outstanding work but we need qualified people to do these specific jobs and unfortunately you're not. We will however offer you all the help needed to find another job. You will recieve full salary for the next 4 months but you don't need to come to work."

Yeah right, you're going to help me find a job that needs the qualifications that I don't have and that you're firing me for not having??

Sorry to vent like this but I'm really pissed off and if I don't tell somebody I will end up doing/saying something stupid. Best not to go the company christmas dinner tomorrow night I think.

On a brighter note, I wish all the members of the board a merry christmas. This really comes from the heart and I hope you take it so.

Side note: to trip, have a nice day off with the family mate.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Oh man, sorry to hear this nugget. If it’s any consolation I got made redundant around this time last year and everything turned out for the best after the New Year. Keep your chin up mate and you can rely on us for moral support.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Nugget

I am sorry to hear your news - however I firmly believe that things happen for a reason and lead us on to better things if we keep our eyes peeled and remain open to posibilities.

Try to enjoy the Christmas season and keep your chin up - things have a way of sorting themselves out!

Take care of yourself Nugget!

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

My Dad lost his job about a month ago, and things were pretty bleak.I offered him my savings (what little I have) but he proudly refused.

During a conversation he told me that things always seem to work out though.He said that although he definitely didn't believe in fate and all that hocus pocus, he did believe that somehow things happen for a reason.

Anyway, the other day he got a job which is far better than his last which had awful working conditions.

I'm sure your situation will work out the same.Maybe things do happen for a reason.

Take care mate.

5. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Same sentiments over here m8. I quit my job in insurance in early September coz I hated it (some said bravely - in retrospect me thought daft) to pursue certification - and a job in IT). Money situation went downhill very rapidly, applied for loads of IT jobs, got 1 interview, filtered down to the final 7 in a heavy selection process, and then got turned down.

I've now managed to get work, unfortunately for me in insurance again, but had to take it as I needed the money so back to square 1. But at least I'm earning.

So, none of this probably makes you feel better, but just so's you know (and looking at the other posts here, it seems to be the case) you aint alone m8.

Keep the faith....

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the support folks. I came home this morning, got on the net and 15 minutes later I was sending an email for a job. Haven't got the 'qualifications' but the job fits me perfectly and I can learn if given a chance.

On the brighter side the HR guy told me that he sees more chances for me in the IT side of my interests than the Biotech. I'll find out more tomorrow when I talk with him again. I'll also be applying for another job tomorrow even though I'm not qualified for it. We'll see what happens.

Also, I went to Judo training tonight and would like to publicly apologise for grinding my opponents into the mat :oops: Unfortunately I didn't feel like going for a beer with them afterwards. There's always next year.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hey Nugget, that's a real bummer.

Still keep your chin up and keep going for it (whatever IT is).

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry to hear your cr@p xmas news, Nugget, but sounds like you've tackled it the right way - straight back at it.

I'm sure I can say CertForums are 110% behind you :thumbleft

And whatever else, enjoy your Christmas as best is possible.

That all sounds cr@p reading it back, but it's well-intended, so I guess that counts.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hey nugget. Hard luck, guy. Remember, there's a world of difference between being laid off and being fired. If you're fired "for cause", it means you stoled money, told the boss to "bleep" off or got caught surfing p0rn on the net.

Being laid off means that they couldn't use you, just down sizing, no hard feelings, that sort of thing. It also means (I don't know how this works anywhere else but in the US) that you get unemployment benefits including possibly retraining, help creating resumes and job search materials and such. Besides, if I read you right, you've got 4 months of full pay coming to help you out. That means you can hunt for work full time and still draw your old salary for four months. A lot of folks don't even get that. It's a decent break.

Having said all that, it really $uck$ being laid off at this time of year. While I don't celebrate Christmas myself, I do know that most folks around do and are usually up to their eyes in expenses. I've lost jobs twice in my life and I can tell you that the shock is just unbelievable...especially when you have a family to support. The last time was over four years ago and, while we haven't completely recovered, by the grace of G-d, we've managed to make it without a day of going hungry or unsheltered and even have managed to have a little fun every now and then.

Hang in, bud. I really do know "the feeling".

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK, time for an update.
    Trip, I still don't know if I'm being terminated with or without cause. I'll ask today. The official reason: 'we need qualified people to do the specific work needed and as you don't have these qualifications unfortunately we have no other choice'.

As for the real reason why, I was systematically pushed out by my project manager, also known here as 'mobbing'. He blocked all my attempts to work for other people and also to change departments by saying that I was always busy or I couldn't do the work. Meanwhile I am just sitting around with nothing to do and no direction from him. When I asked for work he told me there was nothing to do at the moment.

I went to see the CEO 3 times about this and to try to get him to sort things out. Little did I realise that as he heads the 'most important dept.' of the company (one that makes money for us) he has become the CEO's golden child.

BTW I didn't even realise it until 3 or 4 people asked me why he wanted to push me out. Talk about being blind.

Now for the good news. The email I sent seems to have made a huge impact. I was told that as soon as the guy received it, he was on the phone to three people in the company and is very interested. I'm meeting him today at 2pm with his boss. I was up till 2am putting together a CV so we'll see what happens.

Two funny things
    When the guy called to find out more about me, the project manager told him that I had experience and could do the work, the very same work he denied that I could do. :evil:
    I went yesterday to collect all my stuff and I accidentally broke my recently received birthday present with the other lab staff looking. I nearly burst into tears but as they say here 'shards bring luck' (translated). An hour later I found out about the good news. :lol:

Anyway, I'll keep you posted about how things go.

Later

11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Good to hear it Nugget, cant wait for the next installment

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Miracles happen, Nugget. I certainly hope this one works out for you. Please to let us know the developments.

13. SimonV
    Honorary Member

GOOD LUCK :D

Hope it goes well for you Nugget.

Si

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I've been thinking, Nugget (always dangerous of course). If you were "fired", you'd either have been summarily tossed out on your ear by security after cleaning out your desk, or put on administrative leave pending an investigation your alleged misbehavior. I think that if they hired you then found you couldn't do the job, it's still not a firing. This may be a moot point given what you've posted since, but I just wanted to polish off that part of it. JMHO.

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry - late in on this one tonight. Fingers crossed right enough, Nugget - I really hope this works out for you, Mate :thumbleft

Hope the next we hear from you is a result :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

All I can say at the moment is Thank you Santa.

I went to see the guy yesterday and they want me to start as soon as the second week in the new year. In the first week I go to see the big boss about contract details and discuss salary.

I just can't believe it. He showed me around and informed me about the work I would be doing and its all the sort of work I can do and could be doing if my 'former' management let me.

My friends just burst out laughing when I told them. I'll be managing the chemical compound library and database, maintaining the robots, performing high throughput screens (chemical reactions), and the best of all, definite IT work.

It seems that the chemist has built the entire department up single handedly. Did all the work himself including IT support and now the results are starting to come in and he has to do what he was really hired for, so he now needs help.

From what I understand they rang two of the founding members of the 'former' company, the finance guy, and two scientists to find out about me. Seems like the decision was already made before I walked into the room, they just wanted to meet me. It was a very weird feeling.

Sorry to have burdened you all with this but I'm in a foreign land, unqualified for what I'm doing and fired a week before Christmas. The bottom fell out of my world and the roller coaster of life went plunging down. My first thoughts were 'how the heck do I support my family now'. But I'm glad to say that things are looking better now. The roller coaster is on the way up now and it's going to be a white Christmas after all.

It's funny how life works. I was stagnating in this job because there was nowhere to go (up or another dept.). I had resigned myself to staying here as long as possible to get my MCSE and then move into IT, hoping the market is better by then. I guess I was scared to take a chance and make a decision but the decision was made for me to my benefit. Getting fired and finding a job posting that seems tailor made for me on the same day in a similar company in the same street is too much coincidence for me. There must be a Santa Claus.

Anyway, it's late and I've got to sleep.
    Thanks again for all who listened.

17. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

Sounds like a Happy Xmas after all :D :xmas :D

Hope it works out for you.

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  18. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

nugget, your making this up.Don't expect us to believe that things could possibly work out in such a perfectional manner.

OK, let's say I do believe you.nugget, your blessed. :angel

Well done and good luck :cheers

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Nugget, I said it before and I'll say it again...miracles happen. Be grateful. I'm glad.

20. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Great news Nugget. Thats one hell of a break, you must have done somthing good in your life to get such a fast reaction. WELL DONE. :cheers