What are the chances of finding employment in IT with the A+ ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by infoseeker, Sep 9, 2012.

1. infoseeker

infoseeker New Member

Hi as mentioned on my previous thread ill health has prevented me from working for long periods of time which means I'm a 30 year old with approximately two and a half years checkable work history in customer service roles.

On the advice given to me by forum members I have decided to start studying for my A+. Just to test myself I repaired two old laptops which were sitting in the house collecting dust. I’d been meaning to take them to the repair shop but decided to have a go myself by following online instructions. It was easier than I thought and this has improved my confidence going forward to study for the A+

I’m concerned about job prospects after getting the A+. With no IT experience and only 2 and a half years of checkable work experience what are my chances realistically?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It really depends on the kind of work you're applying for, obviously you would struggle if you're applying for roles managing Network or Windows infrastructure but if you're applying for 1st line \ Service Desk roles then I see no real issues with it.

Ideally what you want to be doing now is getting some experience, try talking to a local charity or church to see if you can get some work experience, for the most part this would be done for free but it is giving you that much needed experience.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,
    I'd say go for it. Start applying and be able to demonstrate in writing and at interview how keen you are.
    There are lots of people on service desks with very little knowledge and no A+.
    Good luck!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT