What are phishers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rosy, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Hey guys - just been reading a news article and came across something about phishers and I have no idea what they are - can anyone explain?

Sensible answers only though please guys! (Yeah, as if you guys would ever give me anything othen than sense eh! :biggrin )

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Rosy,

Basically, a phisher is an internet scam artist. Example: you get an email supposedly from your bank (or paypal or whatever) saying that your account information has expired and needs to be renewed. You are told to click a link and re-enter your username, password and other confidential information. You click the link and arrive at a site that looks pretty much like your bank's site (look for differences, bad spelling, etc). You enter all your confidential stuff and it turns out this is not your bank's site but a site put up by a black hat to rip you (and alot of other people) off. Here's the definition from webopedia:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/p/phishing.html

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

thats the key thing to look at here, also things like links that say www.ebay.com that when hovered over reveal something totally different

another major issue is IDN characters in URLS, that will make the URL appear genuine, but infact it wont be, it can even be used with SSL certificates and flag no problems!

Firefox has gotten around this by disabling IDN charsets until it can sort it out more permenantly

Phising is a pretty big deal for the uninitiated, as they often fall for this, but the majority of it is pretty easy to pick up on for those with a few more braincells than average (especially with the quantity we get these days, its like they are trying to train us to avoid them!!) :)

Trips sums it up nicely though Rosy, thats what it is

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys! So not people who get drunk on a regular basis or anything then lol

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well...I wouldn't rule that out entirely. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I busted a guy for doing this from one of our domains at my last job - the sh1t he was putting up was damn convincing. Man, did I enjoy taking that domain down and alerting the police [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

[​IMG]
    Lucky you mate, I would love to do something like that, and nail one of those bas*^rds. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  8. DancesWithBSOD

DancesWithBSOD New Member

Certifications: BSc IT
    WIP: Unsure