What are people running as hardware at the mo, any reccommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ropenfold, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I'm thinking about putting a system together in the next few months although its been a while since I've bought hardware, I've been a laptop man for some time!

I want a decent system capable of playing games but it'll be more for design, 3D studio max mainly. So its going to need a decent graphics card and RAM.

Any suggestions?

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  2. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Nvidia BFG 9800GT OC Edition 512MB Dual DVI HDTV Out Cuda and PhysX ready PCI-E Graphics

£100.05ex vat

HERE

Good card for the money.

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm using BFG 8800 GT OC 512MB x2 in SLI mode and 2 gigs of ram.

8800 is a fantastic card, one of the cards runs fallout3 at highest settings let alone two.

it was 150 quid each when I bought them last year, so you can probably get them pretty cheap nowadays and they really are the dogs bollocks of cards overall. Check out any review from a quick google.

It was sold out virtually everywhere when it was released because of its perfect price-performance ratio

EDIT:

Looking at Insight, Scan and Dabs, they all have only a few for sale and they are still 160 quid.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

look at my sig, this rig kicks butt :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I've been running a 8800GTS for over a year now (29/05/07). I've stuck in 4GB of Crucial memory, with a Dual Core 2.66Ghz (E6750).
    I was considering an upgrade to DDR3 memory (match the 1333 bus of processor) but it's not worth the price (for new ram and motherboard) at the moment.
    I don't seem to have trouble playing games, as long as I don't add in AA and the like (which doesn't bother me).

I would go for a Quad Core processor, I'm sure that would help!

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Here are my main spec's:

AMD Phenom 9750 Quad 2.4Ghz
    6gb of Ram
    8800GTS

In my case, the CPU is good, the amount of ram is good, the only thing that I would change (if I really needed to) would be the graphics card to maybe the Nvidia GTX 260 or 280 card for high end games.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for your responses guys, I'm going to start putting together a spec, I'll keep you updated :biggrin

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My gaming rig is about 2 1/2 years old now, so I'm not gonna be of much help this time around. Fortunately, I'm nowhere near needing to upgrade! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

See below.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Core 2 Q6600 Quad overclocked to 3.4GHz
    NVidia 8800GT XFX Alpha Dog Edition
    4GB Corsair XMS Pro Ram

My machine was great with games like Crysis at 1280 resolution but when i tested it at anything higher it died miserably. Now though i guess you may want to consider the ATI HD 8x cards as i read they were pretty darned good in Micromart magazine not too long ago. I prefer NVidia though as it plays nice with my Ubuntu install and ATI has always been a pain with that.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA