What annoys you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Sep 13, 2009.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm pretty much in a permanent state of annoyance.
    It's my default world view.

At the moment it's mainly signs and having to cater for the terminally stupid who should be allowed to do the gene pool a favour and just die.

I was driving along the M5 the other day, and there's a section basically built into a cliff face with a low barrier along the edge. Lovely view, but all along the fence are signs saying 'Warning, do not climb over fence - danger of falling'.

The sad thing is, they're probably there to protect the highways agency from being sued by some moron who decided that was the ideal place to stop for a wee.

Then there are the road signs that say 'New road layout ahead!' which never get taken down - so they lie.

There are also plenty of signs littering our roads that literally warn you of nothing -

- 'Sign not in use' next to a neon sign. I don't need to know it's not in use, I'll just ignore it thanks.
    - 'No road markings'. Blimey, I'd better concentrate extra hard to prevent myself weaving all over the place. It's only those white lines that keep me going straight.
    - 'Traffic camera not in use'. Great - that means I can speed up.
    - 'No street lighting'. Oh noes, I'll just have to rely on my headlights like normal. And what about the miles of roads where there was never any lighting anyway? How are we supposed to cope with that?

And they're real they, are.

:twisted:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I passed no less than 14 of these once on my way up the A1, all of them next to the big portable light up boards they use for major roadworks. The important word in that sentence being PORTABLE, if its not in use then put it away for crying out loud.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Meshan

Meshan Bit Poster

I realy like hobnobs

-My next door neigbours who have parties that go on until 6am a few times a month. I wish they weren't such nice people so I could complain
    -Up-selling. If I wanted double cheese for an extra 50p I would have asked. How could I miss the 6` poster on every wall telling me such
    -That goes for every type of up-sell too. Jumbo coffee for a penny. Extended warranties for £20. Another pizza for half price. I'm not saving because I don't want it so it becomes an expense.
    -Anybody on the other end of a phone.

Certifications: HCIMA, BIIAM, BSc (Hons),
    WIP: MCITP (70-622)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Apology accepted. Be careful about making assumptions, my friend. :) I was simply pointing out to the USA hater that America has done much more good than harm, particularly with respect to the UK.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Quite.

Again, it's probably to stop people complaining that the sign had failed to warn them about the impending congestion/surface water/spray/fog/bright sunshine/rain/roadworks/fall of darkness or any one of the things the mooing sheep-like masses seem to think that we need to be warned about in advance.

6. BosonMichael

I believe this falls under my "People who take no responsibility for themselves or their actions" bullet point. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sure does.
    Drives me nuts. :biggrin

We live in a country where councils have more money put away to deal with lawsuits brought by people tripping over loose paving slabs than they do for repairing loose paving slabs.

It's a bit of a 'chicken or the egg' thing.

8. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I would say that the UK has helped USA just as much.
    WW2 was over as soon as the Germans went to war with Russia, UK would of been able to repel a German invasion the royal navy would rip the Germans to shreds in the channel. Not to mention the only reason America went to war with Germany was because of pearl harbor the majority of Americans hated the UK including several well known admirals and generals.

How about when USA went to war with Britain in the Napoleonic wars

Overall historically i would say it was neutral since the UK has done bad things to the US as well.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Lets not go there.

We're a bunch of geeks on a forum, not military historians, politicians, or generals.
    This'll go bad.

:(

10. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I totally agree. Don't have me scared to start a general thread now folks. I wanted this to be just a random thread that you can jot down something to get it off your chest, and maybe get some of us agreeing and thereby making you feel better you're not alone in your annoyance of something . . . . phew. See, I feel better getting that off my chest now ha ha

Lets keep it geeky, you are logged onto a IT certification forum after all and I don't think it comes much more nerdy than that :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. BosonMichael

Never said they didn't... but I'm not bashing the UK. On the other hand, someone IS bashing the US.

Actually, no, not even close to "as soon as". Operation Barbarossa started on 22 June 1941 when Germany invaded Russia; Germany didn't surrender until early 1945.

...including those U-boats, right?

Yeah, those German planes divebombing our Navy at Pearl Harbor really made us mad!

Hey, wait a minute... :hhhmmm ...that's not what happened... :rolleyes:

I suggest you surrender before you get nuked. You lack the weaponry to fight this fight. 8)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Mate, you're 19 with a shaky GCSE grasp on world history, and you are taking on a US military intelligence analyst.

Please don't do it...

:blink

13. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

LMAO!

Mine are:

- People who dont ask/respect your opinion because your young

- People who pretend to know what they are talking about, then fob the job onto you to find information about something then pass it onto Directors as if its their own information :dry

- Yobs my age who can be flattened with a simple, "go away you tit"

- People who act "Rolid McSolid"

- People who moan about stuff but dont do anything about it

- DNS at first, then I learned to love it

:biggrin

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
    Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  14. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Don't waste your finger energy on it BM, it's typical Brits that think the US is every single thing wrong with the world because the tabloids say so. The same type that think Saddam never did a single thing wrong, the same kind that would say "ohh, well, it's someone else gassing millions of jews, it aint my country, so we shouldn't bother".

We needed the US, it's that simple, you can only have your back against the wall for so long.

And this is from a Brit, we are team, and what's in the best interest of the US, is never too far off the best interest of the UK.

Thats something that annoys me, people that pass generalised comments without actually taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture. :x

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'm getting really cheesed off with the constant insurance quote ads - especially the multi insurer ones (see, I'm not even gonna mention their names !) :x

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Scraping the side of my, and someone elses car whilst attempting to park in a tight space not 20 mins ago

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hope you left a note :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

He's from Scotland too Sparklers, I'd check my car if I were you! :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  19. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

where abouts Fergal?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  20. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

hmmmmmmm

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP