What am I doing wrong here?!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jellyman_4eva, Aug 19, 2005.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Nuts. I just spent so long writing an answer to this that the forum logged me out and I lost it.

OK short version...

I got lucky in a way. I jacked in my old job in order to study. I had spent two years juggling an OU course with full time work. Then I thought, why work towards a new career whilst working your nads off at one you are trying to get out of.
    It may seem irresponsible (I've got a wife, kids and a mortgage) but it was a leap of faith really.
    We spent nearly a year living off our ISAs and TESSAs etc. I did a bit of web design for a few people.
    Then one of my wife's freinds said her husband's company was looking for someone to do a bit of web design.
    It was supposed to be a weeks work, but I chose to work in the office rather than from home. Once there, I did the web design, then started work on some XML Web services, fixed the printer, covered for the network administrator's holiday, and it kind of grew from there.

I guess what's important about the story is that you make the most of opportunity when it comes along and see where it takes you. Work hard, be a nice guy, make friends and keep looking.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

I cannot believe this thread is still going!!

Anyways, my main message is firstly I am sorry!!

To all those who do not have jobs and are looking... do not give up, you will get one!! I feel really guilty about this reading the replies!!

I already have a job, I am just looking to find the next level, and thats what I am finding hard...!

There are plenty of jobs out there, whoever recommended jobserve to me is a legend... it seems way better than reed etc.

ZIMBO: The jobs I am looking for are generally desktop support based mainly on Microsoft products, but I am looking in particular for the jobs which incorporate oppurtunities to progress and develop into other areas... I have nothing against desktop support, and I am not saying its not a challenging role, but for me its a stage I need to go through to get to where I want to be...!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

to be honest - the reed.co.uk website is actually quite good. any agency/company can advertise on it, and your cv is submitted directly to the advertisers. Ive been registered with them for well over two years through the website, and they have never come to me directly with a job. i have to go to the site and choose the jobs i wish to have.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present