What about VirtualBox?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by chetan.crasta, Oct 15, 2008.

1. chetan.crasta

chetan.crasta Bit Poster

I see a lot of discussion on VirtualPC and Vmware, but none on VirtualBox - http://www.virtualbox.org/ . I believe VirtualBox has numerous advantages over VirtualPC and Vmware - it is free, fast and officially supports Linux.
    Has anyone compared these virtualization applications side by side?

Note: One thing about VirtualBox that I found unintuitive is when you install Windows XP "guest additions" by going to Devices > Install Guest Additions , nothing seems to happen. But actually, a virtual cd is loaded which can be started by double clicking the CD ROM icon in My Computer.

WIP: CIW A+ N+
  2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I gave it a short run through earlier in the year, but my boss dislikes 'free' stuff, so I put it aside for home use later. Impressive, though.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Its pritty good, I use it at home and never really found any problems with it and its also got a seamless mode which works well.

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Never really heard of it, but it look impressive, i might take a look tonight.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  5. Crito

Crito Banned

Now that Sun has acquired the company it's breaking out of its niche (Linux) market. I haven't tried it under Solaris yet but here's a screenshot of my Mandriva Powerpack desktop running it and Vista Ultimate.
    http://www.4crito.com/msgbrd/pics/virtbox.jpg

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I've used it, I don't see too many advantages to it over VMWare WS apart from the fact it's free, but i get WS for free so thats moot

personally I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to most technologies, I hate the constant 'my **** is better than yours' arguments that are total BS for the most part

if it works for you then use it, anyone using virtualization is another person enlightened to the future trend of business technology, and that can only be good for your career

personally i'd use as many different techs as possible, in the corporate world most people don't give a crap about VBox yet, but that should change now Sun has them

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I'm hoping to give it a go in seamless mode soon. I want to use openSUSE on my work lappy but I have to have IE7 due to our current back office system.

Perhaps running this in seamless mode is the solution!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  8. Crito

Crito Banned

The main advantage is it's not VMWare. These days you have to be very careful which crooks, er, companies you support. The VMWare IPO was a pump-and-dump scam.

Of course, the way things are going for Sun lately.... well, we'll see what happens.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none