Welcome to the Networking FAQ Page

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tripwire45, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Welcome to the CertForums Networking FAQ Page

What is the purpose of this forum?

This forum is designed to discuss any issues related to computer networking, including design, configuration, and troubleshooting.

I’m a complete beginner. Can you tell me briefly what's involved in computer networking?

Generally speaking, computer networking is the process of allowing more than one computer to communicate and share information and resources with another computer. This can include computers connected in a home or office environment on a local area network (LAN) or computers connected across great distances via the internet or other wide area network (WAN).

What sort of topics are appropriate for this forum?

Relevant topics include TCP/IP, DNS, WINS, DHCP, NetBIOS, the OSI model, routing, switching, and networking media such as cabling and wireless. Since computer networking technology is expanding on a daily basis and covers such a broad subject area, it isn’t possible to list all the topic areas here. If in doubt, you may post your network-related question or comment here. If it is deemed more appropriate for another forum, the Administrator will relocate it and inform you of this event.

Can I ask questions about networking hardware here?

Yes. Although CertForums has a separate Hardware & Upgrading forum, in most cases, it will be more appropriate to ask questions specific to networking hardware here. Such hardware can include Network Interface Cards (NICs), including PCI cards, USB NICs, and wireless NICs, modems, including fax modems, cable and xDSL modems, routers, switches, hubs, and patch panels. Again, the variety of networking hardware can seem endless so please don’t consider the above examples as all inclusive.

What if no one answers my question?

Hopefully, someone on the forum will always be able to help, but in those instances when you receive no response in a timely manner, please direct your comments to the Forum Moderator or the Site Administrator. Also, please keep in mind that, if your question is quite involved, it may take a bit of research on a respondent's part before they can provide any assistance. Please try to be patient.

How detailed should my question be?

The more detail, the better. Very often, it is difficult to respond meaningfully to a question if not enough detail is included. Sometimes, of course, it can be hard to know how much detail to include in an initial question and, in that event, responders may ask you to clarify certain points.

How is this forum related to the Network+ forum and the Cisco forum?

While both of those forums involve computer networking, they have a specific focus. The Networking forum covers the broadest range of computer networking and doesn’t limit itself to a specific set of certifications or products. The Network+ forum is focused on that CompTIA certification and the Cisco forum is focused on the various certification offerings and products by Cisco.

Are their any good sites on the internet for information on networking?

CertForums has a separate “Resource Links” page with links to web pages we’ve found particularly helpful as tutorials and information providers. It is categorized by type and you can refer to those sites under “Hardware” for further assistance. Also, a Member may suggest a particular website to you as part of their response to your question.

Are there any books that are particularly good for learning computer networking?

The list of computer networking books is endless, given the vast scope covered by the subject. A few recommended texts for someone new to computer networking are:

[​IMG]Upgrading and Repairing Networks, Third Edition by Scott Mueller

Similar in construction to the Scott Mueller classic Upgrading and Repairing PCs, this text covers a broad scope and is very detailed in range regarding the subject of networking. Useful for network technicians at any level of achievement.

[​IMG]Computer Networks Fourth Edition by Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Considered a classic as a networking text, covering the technical, historical and societial aspects of the subject.In this highly anticipated revision, Tanenbaum takes a structured approach to explaining how networks work from the inside out. He starts with an explanation of the physical layer of networking, computer hardware and transmission systems; then works his way up to network applications.

[​IMG]Internetworking with TCP/IP by Douglas E. Comer

The all-time best-selling TCP/IP book by leading author Doug Comer, Volume I provides a broad, conceptual introduction to the TCP/IP internetworking protocols and the connected TCP/IP internet. Comer discusses layering, and shows how all protocols in the TCP/IP suite fit into the 5-layer model. In addition to fundamentals, the latest technologies are covered. It reviews network hardware, including wide area and local area technologies.

I cannot stress strongly enough that there is no one text that can possibly cover the vast scope of computer networking. The above suggestions are simply places to begin and you may find other books that are equally useful to you. I urge you to share them with your peers here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+