Web Site and Tool Feedback

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rover977, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Hi folks, I am wondering if I could ask for some opinions re a JavaScript 'bookmarklet' program I have just written during my recent study in web design.

The program is called 'Web Declutter', its basically a simple tool which allows a user to selectively remove elements from web pages as they view them. I created a web site for it including a video showing how it works.

Obviously this is not a commercial project of any kind. I had this idea whilst reading David Flanagan's book Definitive Guide to JavaScript. (Also designing the site has been quite a good practice for the new skills I just learned).

www.web-declutter.com

Many thanks indeed for any input.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I've just had a quick look and it seems to be working great. Great job mate.

Really helpful for all these video streaming sites with loads of ads on them.

Thanks

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Heh Luke, thanks for the comment. I'm having some ideas already how to improve it.

There is a plug-in for Firefox called Nuke Anything Enhanced that has a similar purpose, but this program I've written works on all browsers, with no need to install a plug-in at all.

I personally use it a lot, because I do not like animations playing whilst reading a page. It might also be useful for those with disabilities or visual impairments.

When video technology gets to the stage where printed material can carry video advertising (and believe me that day will come) then we will truly be gubbed I think :biggrin

But I am not anti-advertising - advertising can be an art-form, its just I think people should have the choice whether and when to view it.

4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  5. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

That is both cool and brilliant ! Thanks for the link ! I did think of having some smoke rising up on deleting a page element or shaping the tooltip like a torpedo, but I wanted to write something quite basic first and easy to use.

Actually when I was trying to think of a name for it one thing I considered was 'Tag Torpedo'!

Cheers

6. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I just updated the above tool to have a pop-up menu with the heirarchy of container elements, and to support Ctrl-clicking, which removes all elements except the current element. With these changes I think its now pretty useful for tidying up a page whilst viewing, and removing content from printouts, or from pages to be saved locally.

www.web-declutter.com

Now no-one has an excuse for complaining about cluttered web pages!

Its certainly quite different going from studying things like Cisco certs and fixing PC's to doing things like programming JavaScript and PHP. I wonder if many other people have such diversity in their IT studies :) (One thing that always amazed me is how many highly competent techs have never written a single line of source code in their life!)

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh, perhaps no need to?

How many developers do you know that work on Firewalls etc. each day, not many. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Yes I take my hat off - its a different kind of responsibility. So your not a programmer then?

I would be interested to know what types of programming you guys do come across in your jobs ?

Or its better if you can get other people to do the hard programming work! :wink:

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Used to be many years ago when I was working as the only IT guy, that was VB and C++. Does come in handy for scripting now.

I just outsource the hard programming work and add 10% for myself :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Sounds like a not bad deal you got there! For system admin type people, Perl I imagine would be pretty handy, one seriously cool programming language8)