Web hosting

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by noelg24, Jun 12, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Right, I have decided to start my own personal website. Basically all about me and my life and that kinda stuff...haha...I have started it using MS Frontpage.

What I want to know whats the best web hosting to go for and what exactly do I look for? All ideas most welcome people...and how does one upload a website?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

there are plenty of wb hosting out there, this is a popular one http://www.123-reg.co.uk.

to put your frontpage site onto the net, it needs to be FTP'd, this prog will do that cute ftp this i found was really good...

3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

oh yeah, most places have a web based ftp client aswell...

4. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I use TsoHost for all my websites and meets my needs with no problems!

http://tsohost.co.uk/packages.php

I pay £2.99 a month (i can pay yearly but prefer monthly) and can cancel my subs anytime. Say i was unhappy with there service i could cancel and change without losing anything. (hence why i pay monthly).

The minimum package is £1.99 a month or £14.99 a year. Everything is web based - webmail, webFTP, phpmyadmin to manage MySQL databases and some other web based stuff.

One thing to watch out for is when they say disk space is unlimited! it's never unlimited. Can you buy an unlimited hard-drive? No!. Before buying hosting saying unlimited ask how much they are prepared to give you!

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

When I started out I went with Pickaweb
    Really easy to use for a beginner with loads of video tutorials etc. They also had a good CGI library for things like mail, shopping baskets etc.
    They also have an associate package.
    I liked them.

You've got two ways to upload stuff. FTP or FrontPage.
    FTP is fine, and there are loads of free clients out there.
    FrontPage is more flexible and allows you to log on to your site remotely which is handy for small changes.

The host needs to be FrontPage enabled to do this, and the two methods tend to be mutually exclusive.

Look at the services that are on offer, CGI scripts, size of mailbox, access to a database, bandwidth, ASP 2.0 etc depending on what you need. Most places offer a range of products.

I would suggest that you also review the support as a newcomer. Read the FAQs and help files etc. Does it seem helpfull? You need guidance rather than any flashy stuff!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

moved to Programming, Scripting & Web Design

CF uses Lunarpages (link at foot of page) but the amount of extra that they provide is probably not what you’re looking for. You probably want something that is for just hosting simple HTML pages with none. You don’t necessarily need FrontPage support unless your looking to use some of the features that need the extensions such as the submission forms or hit counter and the like but to be honest you would be better of not bothering with them and learning yourself how to create your own.

A cheap option is to see if your ISP provides you with a chunk of webspace and if you can host a domain name over that space, I think AJ did just that with his ISP and I know mine (plusnet) do provide this service.

HTH, Si :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well thats kinda what I was looking for so thanks guys...I will keep these in mind and will let u know what I decide...very good inputs tho...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I use Hostgator, for $9.99 a month I can host up to 99 sites! (I have 3 hosted with them not including first-computer-job.com).

Fo a site about yourself have you thought about making a blog instead? You can make one for free at Blogger.com (service run by Google) or learn about hosting your own blog using blogging software like Wordpress (also free just takes a bit of learning) which gives you much more control over the look and feel and navigation etc of your blogs than the free service.

The hosting company I use has wordpress already installed in the fantastico control panel, so when looking for a hosting company a fantastico control panel is quite nice to have.

I think for a personal website a blog is definitely the way to go, wordpress has some very cool plug ins as well!

I have several blogs about all sorts of things that i write to quite often.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging