Web Filtering

Discussion in 'Software' started by simongrahamuk, Nov 11, 2005.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Does anyone know of some web filtering software that will only allow access to pre-authorised websites?

I'm asking because in a school the little darlings love going out and finding websites that havent been picked up by the LEA filter and blocked out.

What I want to do is to only allow access to websites that I have authorised, and block access to all others.

Now I know that this is in theory possible using complex cisco access lists and some NAT translations, but that is way over my head, so I'd like a software solution that can be easilly modified.

Does Microsoft ISA Server do this?

:rolleyes:

2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

One software I'm familiar with is Surf Control.

http://www.surfcontrol.com/

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks TG,

I was aware of surfcontrol before, but never really looked into what they offered.

This perhaps has something to do with the fact that they keep sending me unsolicited stuff in the post all every week???

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

EDIT: Thanks Rostros also. You nipped in there whilst I was replying!

EDIT: I really must make sure that I click the edit button and not the quote button! :oops:

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Simon, you might want to get in touch with AJ as I know he was in the same situation as you with the same problems. Also Bluerinse is the resident expert with ISA server here but from what little I know of it you can do what you're asking.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks Nugget! :biggrin

8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Simon, as a private school we do not have access to the web filtering stuff that the LEA has, so we have to look after all of that stuff ourselves. We use a proxy server called Navaho

We have found this to be VERY good, coming with some preconfigured allow/deny list which are very easily edited. I would recommend this very highly. However, these things come at a price. Not sure of the exact costs but I thing the box reaches 5 figures including support.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks AJ, just had a look at their product and it looks like it offers everything that we need and more, a lot more!

The only downside to it may be the cost.

I'm sure that if I push some Legal / Ethical things at them though they may come around! :twisted:

10. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

WIP: A+
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We looked at Smoothwall as a backup to our firewall, but it doesn't, or didn't offer and proxy server facility :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes ISA can easily do this. You would need to set up a site and content rule.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

If your school can afford that it must be the best managed state school in Britain! The school I've just finished working for is already spending next years money.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  14. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

doesn't your isp provide this kind of service mate?

when i was at school, bt (i think) did the filtering side of things.

it was a few years ago mind so i could be wrong! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
  15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

There is filtering provided by our ISP which is an LEA consortium.

The problem with it though, without being harsh, is that its a very poor service. Whilst it does filter some sites there are far to many sites that get through the filter, hence why I'd rather try to block every site, and allow only pre approved ones through.

The other thing about the LEA filter is that is you want a site blocking you have to send them an email stating why you would like it blocked, they will then evaluate the request and do what they feel is necessary. Sometimes you find that it gets blocked within the hour, sometimes it can take them a week or so, and sometimes you never hear anything back at all!

16. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

:oops: yeah i remember now, as a test our computing teacher got us to type in "xxx" and said it would be filtered.

he wasn't too chuffed that the pages started loading up.......

half an hour ranting on the phone later.....:tongue

Certifications: ECDL