Web development course and Microsoft certifications

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by tobeeornot, Feb 28, 2011.

1. tobeeornot

tobeeornot New Member

Hi, I recently left my job as a project manager from a niche organisation that provides business services to public service bodies. I am thinking of sharpening my skills by doing some web development training and getting certified with some Microsoft and Adobe products and moving into Web Development project management.

I have done some research into a course but really want to know if the qualifications (especially with the MS certificates) I obtain are well regarded in the industry? Basically I want to know if it is worthwhile doing.
    The course is over 3 months and covers the following areas:

HTML
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (Exam 70-516)
    Developing Data Access Solutions with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
    Introduction to Web Development with Visual Studio 2010
    Dreamweaver CS5 (Exam 9A0-146)
    Photoshop CS5 (Exam 9A0-15)
    Flash CS5

I can also do the following modules:
    Java Script
    Linux
    Apache
    MySQL
    PHP
    Developing Web Application with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (Exam 70-515)
    Developing Windows Communication Foundation Application with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (exam 70-513)
    Developing Data Access Solutions with Microsoft Visual Studio (exam 70-516)

The idea would for me to use some of my existing skills as a PM and combine it with the knowledge from the course to move into Website Project Management rather than just expect to do development work after a three month course.

Any advice about how these modules are regarded by industry would be very much appreciated :D

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

No idea about how the certs are regarded by the industry but the main thing with web development that does count is the portfolio that you have. If you are interested website development then it might be a good start but you'll need the portfolio to back you up and show that you can do the job.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'd steer clear of the MS certs unless you have actually worked with the technologies involved.
    They aren't really entry-level and are really intended to demonstrate your existing skills rather than teach you new ones. They tend to be broad in scope end may not be too relevant in getting started.

You can start to build websites with a book on HTML and Notepad, then go from there.
    The OU also does some level one courses that incorporate HTML and Javascript etc.

What you want to be is someone who already has the skills you mention, but also has some IT/Web skills - don't try to run before you can walk.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD