Web designing

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Mix'Creations, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Mix'Creations

Mix'Creations Nibble Poster

Hi once again.

I was just wondering about the actual design side of things, tables, headers, logo's etc.My first web site i am currently working on but having seen other examples sites, personal sites that look pukka i ain't sure where to start, maybe mess around with the adobe tools and ill figure something good, but have any/all of yours hit a brick wall when first starting out then been good at it.

I heard online somewhere about techniques like maybe doing some sketching, i never been A class at drawing, but i may get some ideas from there.

As i'm doing the CIW Website design managers course (through SkillsTrain - and there's nowt wrong with em - besides what you may hear - all good for me) there is a section later on in the course, i'm only on Section 2 part A at the mo!

So to end, if there's any advice/experience you have all had, id be interested to hear.

Certifications: 1D0-510) CIW Web Foundations Associate,
    WIP: On route to Guru
  2. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

If you want to see how peeps have done their website a good tool to use is Firebug on Firefox. It's an add in, just google it.

You can also check out www.w3schools.com it has loads of free tutorials on it ect..

To download CSS samples there are tons of different places but one useful site is http://www.freecsstemplates.org/

The main thing is just to keep practicing. Borrow from others ideas and get proficient at laying out with CSS ect.. To get some of the really cool things, using something like Photoshop is also a must for me.

Dom

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

These days this sector is divided into design and development. If you're after design, all you need to know from coding side is HTML and CSS. Designers first do Photoshop (or similar) file and when it's all ready, they cut it in pieces and code it into HTML, CSS template. When that's done developers take over and do they PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, C# or whatever coding using template made by designers. Hardly anyone does it all these days as coding side went more into programming than early days SSI (Server Side Includes). It's also common that good developer has absolutly no talent when it comes to designing part.

If you're after being a designer you could start from doing templates for any CMS or Forum software. You can get practice and some feedback. This will also save you learning a programming language (yes php is a programming language too). No one wants a static website these days and this software will let you focus on visual part.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure