We need your feedback about recertification - Microsoft

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kitkatninja, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We need your feedback about recertification - Microsoft

...We are conducting a survey to gather customer and hiring manager feedback about recertification requirements for advanced level (i.e., MCITP and MCPD) Microsoft Certifications. Your responses will help us determine how often a candidate should be required to recertify, which activities hiring managers would consider appropriate proof of continued competence, and which activities candidates would prefer to engage in to demonstrate continued competence. One possible recertification requirement would be passing an exam--but it doesn't necessarily have to be an exam. We'd like to hear your opinions on other possible activities.

We hope that you’ll take the time to participate in this short-but important-survey. Please complete and submit your responses by August 8th.

See here for the page.

See here for the survey.

Personally, I do not believe that Microsoft certs should be renewed as they are version specific already and retire when the product support life ends and by then most of us will be either certified and/or working with the next (or even the version after that) version. Unlike the Cisco or Comptia exams where, to my knowledge, aren't version specific so CE (continuing education) or CPD (continual professional development) are of use.

If Microsoft had it's own professional body (or links with an established one) and CPD/CE was a requirement to maintain professional registration (similar to the ICTTech, CITP, CEng, etc), then I possibly could understand it. But it isn't, and Microsoft exams are just that exams - not proof of professionalism or that you actually work in the field. For now it just seems like a money making scheme...

-Ken

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh God, no.

I'm all for CPD - but that's something that any decent recruiter will look at anyway before hiring someone. I don't think it's for the likes of Microsoft to go dictating it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Another NO! Definitely a money making ploy, if this goes ahead then working in IT will become even less attractive to people with intelligence.

YES Comptia exams expire, although usually in that timeframe the basics have changed a lot so its likely to be a different exam, but passing what no doubt will be the same exam twice (as MS products doesnt change that much from release to death, then it seems pointless,) and another excuse to squeeze money out of us.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Im posting as kevinTRC btw haha (Although the rants may seem familiar!)

I dont see how they can try and justify r*ping and pillaging our bank accounts further by saying the cloud will be moving faster and there will be a need to certify, where have they hired these superhuman programmers from who can create a new release every six months?

Or have we reached Microsofts very own singularity!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Another NO from me. Seeing as new products come out on a 3 year basis (give or take), one can (if they wish to continue to certify) simply attempt a cert for a new version of the app. But having to pass an exam again and again just to maintain a specific name for the SAME product, makes no sense to me.

IMO, wagnerk put it best, and I also voted as such.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I have never sat an MS exam, but what is the difference between Cisco making you recertify that you still have the knowledge to configure OSPF/EIGRP/VLANs, IP address schemes etc and MS asking you to recertify you can still carry out the tasks certified on their exams?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not for me. When should a cert be renewed anyway? Windows XP has been out since 2001 so we could have all taken the exams three times over just keep our certs up to date.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

A big no from me. I really don't see what good it would do since there are different versions of exams for different versions of software. Certs are just the icing on the experience cake anyway, so if they did implement this it would mean less people bothering to take certs in the first place. I also don't like the implication that employers are stupid and can't make decisions based on a combination of work experience, certs and how a person comes across at interview.

@danielno8
    I think the man difference is that you have one cert for that level, but the IOS changes. If there was a CCNA V11, CCNA V12 etc to differentiate which version of the IOS you were certified in then you would still have to recertify to stay current, the main difference being that you could decide when to 'upgrade' your cert.
    Take a few MS OS certs and you'll see that they also involve going over a lot of old ground (e.g. file and folder permissions, network connectivity etc etc). Not really a big problem because if it's your bread and butter you can just do a quick review of the topic.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Any changes to IOS are not evident in the CCNA exam. CCNA goes over basic IOS features which haven't changed since the first time i came across Cisco in 2004. Only things that change in CCNA is some of the topics, like IPv6 is in now, and ISDN is not. Also, the last time the Cisco exam was updated was 2007.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP