Ways to get a career in IT security

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JK2447, Mar 24, 2023.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

We've all seen hacker movies that make us dream of a high flying career in IT security. For a time I wanted to be a Penetration Tester as it looked more like a hobby than a job. I passed a hacking certification but in the end decided that virtualisation was where my passion really was.

For those of you looking to get into IT security, as a general rule of thumb, this typically requires a combination of education, experience, and certifications. Speaking to a colleague of mine in this field, here are some steps you can take to help increase your chances:

1. Get an education: A degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field can help you gain the necessary knowledge and skills to work in IT security. You may also consider taking courses or certifications in specific areas of IT security.

2. Gain experience: Look for entry-level positions in IT, such as help desk or system administration, to gain experience working with technology. You can then transition into security-focused roles, such as security analyst or security engineer.

3. Obtain certifications: There are many certifications available in IT security, such as CompTIA Security+, Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), and Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH). Obtaining these certifications can help demonstrate your knowledge and skills to potential employers.

4. Network: Attend IT security conferences, join professional associations, and participate in online forums to meet other professionals in the field and stay up-to-date on the latest trends and technologies.

5. Continuously learn: IT security is a constantly evolving field, so it's important to stay current with the latest technologies, threats, and best practices. Continuously learning and improving your skills will help you stay competitive and advance in your career.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs