Was this thread helpful?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Qs, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hi all,
    As you've probably guessed from the very witty title this is an encouragment post for members new and old to actually use the rep system properly. If someone has posted something genuinely helpful to you then please click on the following image next to their post.

It looks like this:- [​IMG]

Now, just to make this crystal clear - this isn't a rant or an excuse to abuse the reputation system.

I just think it would be nice if people would show their appreciation to fellow members for their assistance. It makes them happy. And happy people rock :p

My two cents...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  2. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

I agree, I find many msg boards have their regulars and little cliques evolve along with their long running in-jokes etc. It can be easy for newcomers to feel left out or simly ignored just by habit

I was going to post something similar in the other thread about the rep system and the rep per posts figure.

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Gosh! Look up. I think I can see a "Was this thread helpful" clickable button at the top right of each post. :D

The system will always be unevenly used, I suppose. Personally, I use the rep system sparingly. That way, when I actually give out rep, it's usually well deserved. Also "helpful" can be applied to non-technical and well as technical posts. Showing support for someone who was just made redundant can be thought of as helpful.

I do want to stress that, just because you *don't* get rep for a post you personally thought was helpful doesn't mean it wasn't useful and it doesn't mean you, as an individual, aren't valued here. Not everyone reading through threads may be thinking of giving rep at any given moment.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I must confess to not repping as much as I probably should. From this day forth I will rep those who deserve to be repped. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. Qs

Oh I agree! Absolutely! I only posted the aforementioned comments due to my belief that a lot of the time people don't actually know such a link is there or what it does. Maybe they don't see it... who knows. My original post is meant to open people's eyes to its usage - not to abuse the system. From my own point of view - Whether I get rep or not - it doesn't really matter. Yes it's nice to know you're helping (rather than spamming :p) but I'll still continue to post and be as helpful as possible regardless.

(you're not going to get rid of me from the forums for a long time yet lol :p) :)

Hope this clarifies. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I do this as well. If I gave out rep EVERY time someone recommended self study, or the A+/Net+/MCDST for entry-level techs, or for decrying the dangers of braindumps - 160+ points at a shot, rep would quickly lose its value. So I give it out sparingly to posts that I not only agree with, but stand out in some fashion.

That said, I *do* give rep, and I feel I give it out as often as I should... including most of your rep points, Qs. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Qs

*ahem* :D Thanks for the input BM (oh, and the points lol) :p

8. BosonMichael

No thanks required; you deserved them. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

well I never even knew it was there... from now on I shall hand out "rep" where "rep" is due. Thanks for pointing that out ...rep given :-)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  10. Qs

Thank you Jiggy, for both the rep point and the fact that you've pointed out the aim of this thread so clearly. :)

Qs

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Actually that's what it does sound like!:dry

Surely greater reward is knowing the fact that you helped someone! Members shouldn't feel pressured into leaving Rep points! Most members say Thankyou, which to me means more than some green squares on your profile8)

There are lot's of functions on this forum, for instance did you know if you wanted to really show your appreciation of someone who has helped you or did outstanding work on CF you can sponsor them to become a premium member. I have and so have several others!

I don't know what's wrong with people these days! Too busy counting Rep points and post numbers.

Have we all forgot the real reason why we are here? To learn about certs and give advice to people along the way to certification!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. Qs

If you believe it's a rant then unfortunately you've misunderstood my intentions.

A lot of other users have seen that I have not posted this for the purpose of gaining additional reputation points (even if every new user gave rep it would be one point a piece.) This isn't a 'wave your rep points around' thread, it's meant to show people that the forum has such a function.

The reputation system has been implemented for a long time now but people just don't seem to see that it's there or know how to use it. I must admit when I first came to Cert Forums I wasn't aware myself and so this is why I feel inclined to spread the word as it were. If the admins, senior mods etc did not want such a system to be used then why have it in the first place?

From a personal perspective my aim is to help as many people as I can on this forum both new and old using my own experiences as a base. If I get rep points then great, if I don't thats fine. Remember - rep points are not tangible, so whether I had 1 or a million it wouldn't make any different to me. The aim of the game is to assist as you said yourself and thats what I hope everyone tries to do.

That's the most important thing to me as I'm sure you can gather from my previous posts, rep system or no rep system. :)

Now gimme a hug! :P

Qs

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

:hhhmmm I'm not having ago at you Qs just expressing my opinion.

There are no tutorials here on how to use a forum, like most people new to forums it's trial and error just the same as if you were building a Pc for the first time! The Rep system has been modified, when it first was introduced you had the option or giving bad rep if you felt the post or advice was wrong and vice versa for good.

There's lot's of people who join and don't post, some because they don't have the time, others because they think they have nothing to offer (when they do!):( Even if they haven't got certs people's opinions/comments always count.!

If people/members are unsure of something then they can raise a post or send a PM to a member of staff. I believe it states this when you first join!8)

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

In that case why don't you raise a thread under the suggestion part of the forum - to show people how to use a forum, that way people can add their comments or question and the Thread can be used as a Tutorial for new and old members here on the features and functions of Certforums.

Then maybe after the staff have accepted the tutorial they can pin it somewhere for everyone to read!8)

15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Forum FAQ Found under Quick Links > Forum FAQ!

16. BosonMichael

I'm here for the free drinks. And if I were single, I hear that chicks dig forum geeks. :onthePC

17. NightWalker

Wait, your getting free drinks..... where are my free CF drinks :blink

Only forum geek chicks dig forum geeks, most chicks tell forum geeks to f off; or they say something like, 'oh. you must know about computers then, my computer is doing this weird thing when <insert generic non skilled computer user question here>'

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

here's a VB mate *toss* :berrr

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. NightWalker

Cheers Blue :) I probably shouldn't be drinking at 09:51 in the morning, but what the hell, its the start of a bank holiday weekend!

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

hehe.. start as you mean to carry on, that's my motto :alc

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)