was it worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by jacek, Nov 14, 2006.

1. jacek

jacek New Member

I enrolled for a CCNA course with one of the IT training cowboys. Now because of that I am in a VERY DIFICULT financial situation.

I come to the point where I got to N+ stage. After a letter of complaint I had their rep nagging me over the phone to go for the N+ exam. But I really doubt if I can pass it, because many people haven't got very good opinion about them.

So what do you think, having no experience what are my chances of geting any job in IT if I got the N+?

I am about to give up completely idea of doing any IT course in the future.

Should I give up my dream of working one day in computer industry?

What chances are for unemplyed 37 old man to get IT job? Please be honest and realistic.

Jacek

2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Jacek, I won't pull any punches it will be hard but then again it's hard to get any good job. Your best bet is to look at courses that are offered free at your local college or adult learning centre and in the meanwhile look for work voluntary work in IT. Voluntary work is seen by a lot of employers as hands on experience and will help you gain employment in a paid IT job.

Don't expect to walk into a £30k job, you will need to set your sights low and work your way up. IT IMHO is one of the most demanding and stressfull jobs out there but if you work at it hard enough you can do it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

Hiya Jacek,

Welcome to the forum BTW

I'm 38 and I'm unemployed, trying to break into IT and I don't have the N+ yet. I've FINALLY got my first interview on Friday.

But the thing is, don't give up - sounds like you're being pressured to do the exam too early. I nearly got caught out with one of those course providers / salesmen.

What a kerfuffle. Can't you delay taking the exam if you're not ready? Is there some sort of contract that says you have to take it by such and such a date? It's surely not in their interests to see you fail. I'd tell them to back off coz I'm not ready yet.

Don't give up !!!

Certifications: A+, Network+, ITIL v3, 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Forgot about your question on the Network+ personally no I wouldn't take the exam without any knowledge on the subject. If they are pushing you to do it then tell them your not ready. If there is a time limit on their part then ask if they will give you the voucher so yourcan take the exam in your time and then I would buy a Network+ book and self study. At the end of the day it's your call.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. jacek

jacek New Member

thank you :)

6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

If it's your desire to work in IT, then DO IT -- literally. Life is too short to worry about the what-ifs, and nothing is ever lasting if it comes easy. It'll be difficult, it'll be disheartening, and it'll be depressing, as it is with most career-changers. However, keep your eyes on the prize, since truly being motivated takes a *lot* of effort. Trust me. Why, you say?

I'm also 37 (recently, thank you very much!). After 15 years of fixing cars and running a dealer shop, I quit. I was on the fast track to a one-way ticket to my Creator, primarily through stress and ethical issues (one in the same, really). So I quit. Really? Yup, and I never quit. However, it was affecting me adversely, and my wife pleaded me to do something about it. So, since she's got a great job, I started training. First A+, then Network +, then MCSA, and finally MCSE (2k) -- all in less than a year, with absolutely NO BRAINDUMPS and 100% self-study. Sweet, right? BZZT. Little did I know, that was the easy part.

The hardest part was getting a job. Sure, I've got lab experience, certifications, and even a 6 month admin job on the resume. Oh, and don't forget the 15 years+ of work and management experience. Regardless, the most trying issue is getting to the interview. In my area (US -- DC metro), everything is government contracting, and Security Clearance ain't cheap ($15k, and you've gotta be sponsored!). If you don't have one, then you'll never get past HR. Finally, I got an interview and was hired (technically) by one of the largest IT contractors -- pending clearance (9-15 months). It's been 7 months, and I'm about to go crazy. I can't even hire on with anyone else, because I'm obligated to this company for clearance sponsorship. Try telling another employer, "Oh, by the way, I'm committed to this other firm, but right now I'm yours". Right. Sure thing, sport.

In short (well, not really), the worst part is waiting for everything to happen. Waiting for testing, waiting for interviews, waiting for clearances .... ugh! However, it'll happen, and you just need to stay focused. Just because you're 37, don't think you have *nothing* to offer. You have real-world experience, which is something valued greatly, particularly in what seems to be a younger, hipper working world. Us older peeps can hang, and our viewpoint is much more 'global', so to speak. We've been in trenches, and now we're doing it again. Have faith, bro, and confident that you'll attain what you desire if you are honest, hard-working and motivated. Now get to work!!! :biggrin

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE