Was I just unlucky?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by adam_h, Jan 19, 2010.

1. adam_h

adam_h Bit Poster

After comfortably passing the A+ in September I set about revising for the Network+ booked a few days before Christmas. I was pretty confident going in after stressing about the A+ and finding out it wasn't half as bad as I was expecting and the fact people on this board had passed it with just basic networking knowledge in addition to the stuff learned from the A+ course - I've don’t plenty of networking in my current job. Needless to say i failed on my first attempt with a score of 680 (is that approx 4 marks off?). 90% of the exam was troubleshooting. Hardly anything at all regarding protocols, cables, standards & OSI...

I've got the exam rebooked for a few weeks but struggling to find study resources regarding 'troubleshooting'. Anybody have any good references? Should I expect just as many questions? I'm of course going over the points on the fail notice, but hardly any are regarding TS....

I use my skillstrain literature and the Professor Messer videos mostly, and this board of course.

Regards
    Adam

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, A+, Network+, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSE (70-291 Next!)
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

'troubleshooting' as a subject is very difficult to teach in any sensible form (I spent an entire year watching my college lecturer fail miserably). All the stuff on protocols, cabling, OSI etc is the basis from which you work when troubleshooting. If you know the theory then the practice should become fairly obvious (at least in my experience).

If your doing plenty of networking in your current job use that as your study resource, at some point I'm sure you've had problems that needed solving, what were the steps you took and the things you tried?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. morph

morph Byte Poster

i passed the network + a few years ago - i used the dave someones sybex book and the cbt nugget videos - not sure how differant they would be from what u have now, to be fair i dont remeber alot of trouble shooting more about stuff you pointed out...although it was a few years ago ;)

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The David Groth book and CBT Nuggets would be a lot better than the skillstrain stuff you've got (according to reputation they have).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I don't think Groth has done a book for N10-004, although I imagine it would still be better than skillstrain.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The last groth book covers the previous N+ exam however I would recommend getting it as it covers trouble shooting etc although it goes into topics the new exam doesn't cover anymore like appletalk etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

I passed N+ just before Christmas and I mainly used Mike Meyers book, it is very popular for N10-004 (2009 edition) exam and it seem to have worked for me, also did some practice tests before the exam which was helpful. I did pick up notes and comments from here by other members which helped as well :p

Surpriced how come nobody mentioned MM all this time :speechles
    I would say you consider Mike Meyer’s book if you haven’t done so Or there’s Sybex

Good luck

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  8. adam_h

adam_h Bit Poster

Great, Thanks for the recommendations. I will defiantly give 1 or 2 of those books a try

9. adam_h

adam_h Bit Poster

Second time lucky it would seem. Passed it yesterday, Not by much, 785. But it's a pass.

10. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Congrats!!!

Would it break any rules if i am asking about the exam?
    Like you mentioned before it was mainly troubleshooting.
    i am just really getting excited :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. adam_h

adam_h Bit Poster

Thanks,
    Not so much troubleshooting this time round, loads of questions regarding VLANs and subnetting though. The questions just vary so much I guess. So the best advice really is to cover everything in the objectives.
    Is yours booked?

12. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

No, i do not like to book until i am not ready, i work full time, and it goes sometime really bad, so my study time is not fix.
    But i must finish until march, because the the first baby is on the way(April), so i going to take a long break, off from work and study for 1,5month.
    Anyway thank you the help i going to concentrate on the main domains.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+