Warning! Controversial Thread: " Artist defiantly draws Prophet Mohammed"

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Oct 16, 2007.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Is it because there are lots of different interpretations of Islam?

You hear a lot in the news in the UK about individual Muslim 'religious leaders' being arrested or deported for inciting racial hatred or preaching violence. But that's only a few out of the many thousand.

So why are some people preaching something different?

I've never heard about a renegade christian vicar urging the parish of Dunny-on-the-Wold to rise up and act against those of a different faith.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - Northern Ireland a few years ago......

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is sort of taking a left-hand turn, but I just read this story on CNN and the "death threats" aspect caught my eye. It seems that religious conviction isn't the only reason to threaten to kill someone.
    Original story found here: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/19/people.degeneres.ap/index.html

I know it seems odd for me to insert this kind of story here, but it seems that one option people always have when they feel empassioned by an issue they are powerless to change is to threaten to kill the people responsible for the situation.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You are correct, it happens all the time.

Someone says I believe this and someone else says I disagree I believe this then one side gets upset and makes threats.

Some people actually believe that by making threats or actually acting out a threat works, that is why they are called terrorists.

Take the IRA it just wasn't them, there was UDF, UDP, The real IRA (whoever they are) loads of different sects where as IRA and the Real IRA wanted the same thing one alledgedly took more direct action than the other and the same with UDP and UDF.

I just don't get why people will kill in the name of their religions and yes it happens on all side i.e Christianity, Islam, Catholosism or whatever.

Now I am sure people in the US have heard of Westboro Baptist Church where the family who run it picket the funerals of dead soldiers and applaud the beatings of gay people and black people, they also run web sites which I wont mention.

But all of their beliefs are based on the pastors interperatation of the bible.

This is why religions fight other religions and why people will kill for their own beliefs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

its all just an excuse to be violent, damn fools the lot of them.

britain is to tollerant of it, we had people marhing down our streets with mock suicide vests on and plackards which preached violence against uk citizens.

long stint in jail would sort that right out.

people should be able to beleive in what they want, but lets use some common sense.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

About 2000 years ago, Jesus lived on earth and one of his primary goals was to straighten out the Jewish people on the true interpretation of the Torah (teachings of the Almighty) as opposed to teaching a new religion. The corrupt religious leaders of that time had layered on tons of additional, man-made commandments to what the Bible actually taught. Jesus taught the original and correct meaning of the Bible (which at that time was what we now call the "Old Testament") so that the people who desired to truly obey G-d (and there were many) could do so without the additional burdens placed on them by men.

The same condition exists today. 2000 years of post-Biblical theology has been layered on top of the Bible and both the church and the synagogue labors under those burdens. People universally like to have it their own way and so interpret the Bible based on their own biases (and some people are more biased than others). There is a remnant who honestly study the Bible seeking the will of their Creator and at least temporarily setting aside all of the man-made traditions in order to seek the intent of G-d and the context in which the Bible was written (and how much theology has been created by taking a few select pieces of scripture out of context?).

Crazies who protest at the funerals of America's honored military dead are just that...crazies. Anyone who honestly believes that they are following the true meaning of the Bible in any respect hasn't done their homework.

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, with a couple of minor exceptions...

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

i have been away for a few days and i come back to find this topic, holy crap. well first the dog issue, i would guess that the people who are sending threatening letters aren't muslim, but yet christians. now for my .02 on the whole issue. people of all religions are fanatical and therefore do some really stupid shite. well i say all religions, but you aren't going to find wacko buddhists or hindus very often. i do really feel that if we had a society with out religion the world would be a better place. i mean it would relive the world of the major cause of conflict. all religions want domination to a greater or lesser extent, and if you believe otherwise you're just brainwashed by your religion. the other thing that would do away with these tensions is for everyone who believes in invisible judges to just let go of their thought and just let people believe what they want if it makes them happy, but that won't happen because of the fact that religions teach that if you aren't one of them then you aren't going to be "saved".

oh well like i said just my .02

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well said imo.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Since the news article doesn't say and since the issue isn't one that's in any way faith-based, there is no evidence that those threatening the pet adoption owners are of one religion or another...or of any religion. That wasn't the point of my posting the information. The point was that *anyone* (religious or not) can feel empassioned enough about an issue they are powerless to change to threaten death as a way to seek empowerment.

Irrational thought is not the sole province of the religious. It's a human trait. The only way to get away from it is to build a society without people...:rolleyes:

11. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

my siting the dog story was not to say that i know 100% that they are christian people making those threats. i was simply going by the fact that the US is, as of the last time i checked, the most christian nation. therefore common reasoning says those people are the hypocritical people of religion whether they are christian, buddhist, hindu, muslim, jew, agnostic, athiest, or confucious. it wasn't mean to come across as irrational babble either, i would actually says it was an intellectual observation of the world today. so if you want to go with soley with the original point, no i do not think modern christians are as nutty as modern day extremist muslims.

just so it is known i do not claim to be an expert in religion, but i will say that i have studied and taken part in all major religious gatherings, so at least i have the basic knowledge to say what i have found to be a more appropriate choice for my life.

oh and thanks gbl

one edit to the post. if you feel like i'm bashing any religions in particular, while it doesn't matter to me, it was not the point. i do feel that a lot of people need to believe in a high power to make themselves feel complete and that everything will be alright. with that said if someone wishes or needs to believe in something i say more power to you if thats what makes you feel good. my wife and i do not share the same beliefs on the subject and our kids i'm sure will end up making their own decisions later on in life.

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Well, I guess that qualifies as a sweeping generality. I do have to ask though, since you identify atheists along with the other "hypocritical people of religion", it seems that you have identified the entire human race as belonging to this one group. Since none of us are excempt from being human, does this include you as well?

Ok, that was probably a cheap shot on my part, but the next time you want to make "an intellectual observation of the world today", you might want to review the statements you intend to post before pressing the "Submit Reply" button to make sure they are internally consistent.

13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh at the ignorance of this statement. It's like someone else on this thread said earlier, he hadn't ever read a book, but knew positively what wasn't in it. To statements such as this all I can say is, Huh?

I'm always amazed when people who know nothing about an organization, have never really studied the beliefs and the attitudes inside it, can be so positive that they know exactly what goes on inside of it. This is nothing more than foolishness, and if you ask me, is pretty much the height of arrogance. It ignores all the evidence that humanity has always mistreated each other both with and without religion, and in their blind bias place all responsibility for evil in the world upon all religion.

I guess Napolean was a religious nut because he tried to conquer the world. I also guess the French Revolution was secretly run by the religions of the world too. The professions of the leaders of it were just disguising their real intent by pretending to be worshiping reason instead of God. That blood ran in the streets means it has to be based upon religion. Stalin too. He must have been a secret Christian, Muslim, etc.... because he murdered millions of people. Alexander the Great too. He must have been religious. Oh, that's right. The Greeks worshiped logic, not any god, and Alexander drank and partied himself to death.

All religions that I have seen place more value upon human life and worth than science does. It's completely amoral, and says humans are not the product of a power that created them, but are the products of nothing but random chance, and there is nothing to look forward to other than death itself. If that doesn't devalue human life, I don't know what does.

Yeah, this was a sarcastic post, but that's the only way I know how to respond such ignorance. That the ignorance is directed at religion is irrelevant. It's just plain arrogant ignorance to make the absolute statements made in what I have quoted. The preponderance of the evidence from the world's history completely falsifies the position taken.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, they're certainly obnoxious...

...but they don't go out killing people.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

trip i do consider humans to be hypocritical by nature. all of us me included, although i do feel that peoples religious convictions cause them to do much more hypocritical things.

free, you feel i'm the uneducated / unread person, and thats fine, but from what you've stated there are falsies as well and if you had read my second post you might have noticed that i have studied all major religions and that includes some of now "dead" religions. i never said all conflict was based on religious and if that is what you pulled out of that segment of text, it is simply because thats what you wanted to read. there are three things that cause violence in the world. money, religion, and power. every conflict the world has known can be placed into one of those three categories and all i stated was religion was one of them.

16. ffreeloader

Never mind the fact that those people are also roundly condemned by the rest of the Baptist Church organization, and 99.999% of the rest of Christendom. The fact that these nutcases act like that means all religion is bad.

GBL, do you even begin to see the fallacy of your thinking?

17. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

mb, those jackasses are showing their asses just as much as anyone who threatens someones life. i mean if you feel that it is only obnoxious to go and disrupt a memorial for a families loved one because your religion has taught you that they should die because they are helping to defend gays and other misc. people, then they might as well threaten death. essentially death threats do not really mean someone is going to kill someone else, they are a way to elicit the thought that they feel someone should be dead. so with the basic logistical problems out of the way if that congregation feels that all american soldiers deserve to die then it is along the same lines as threatening them with death.

i know that they do not speak for the majority of christian congregations around the states, but they do nothing to help the cause.

18. BosonMichael

Actually, the absence of any religion would cause the absence of any rules created by a "higher power".... including those that specify that we should not kill, steal, etc. Do you honestly think that a removal of all religions would cause evil to decrease? If so, I agree with Freddy; that's sheer ignorance of what most religions are all about.

Again, religion is not evil. Some people are evil simply because they choose what rules they want to follow, regardless of what religion they profess to follow.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  19. BosonMichael

So... based upon that logic, you believe that it would be better if all religions were to disappear? :rolleyes:

20. ffreeloader

Sorry to disagree once again. There is only one cause of all problems between human beings, and that is man's inhumanity to his fellow man. That has nothing to do with religion, money, or power. It's that in human nature there exists the desire to place one's own self above another. Place the blame where it really belongs, not where you want it to be.