waol.exe high CPU usage !!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Co9, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Please can you advise regarding this aol program file. I can see in task manager that the file is causing my cpu to freeze through it's consumption rate. I don't think it's a virus as through other reading it was located in the correct directory when i searched through to check. I think it's to do with log on process and therefore would not be advisable to delete it unless I'm prepared to use another browser to get onto the internet. Can anybody suggest any modifications i can perform on waol.exe so that after logging on for ten minutes the thing doesn't then go and freeze things up ?????

Many Thanks

Co9:dry:dry

WIP: A+
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Do a google search, some well known spyware and malware hides itself as this process.

Follow online procedures (from respected sites) for spyware detection and removal.

Its also quite possible it is genuine aol software as apparently it does waste resources.

I would never install any ' A O Hell' stuff on my computer.

I would suggest removing with extreme prejudice.

Its possible to set up an ISP network connection without using their installer, look around the net.

Its also possible to use standard browsers.

These ISP install disks in reality do little other than write a few registry entries. The other stuff they install is usually useless garbage.

Best of luck ! :D

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I use AOL and do not have their software installed as its complete bolocks and that is being nice about it.

Go to add/remove programs and delete all of the AOL apps that are on your pc, do a reboot and that should be all you will have to do.

That's all I did anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Granted the software isnt very good however as others have said it may well be a virus or spyware infection. Also I would be tempted to reinstall the AOL software (completely uninstall it and then put it back on again). I am very tempted to say uninstall it and use a different browser but if you like the software and how it works then try a reinstall.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing