Wanting to start a career in IT!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Late Starter, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Late Starter

Late Starter New Member

Hi All,

I have up until now done a wide variety of jobs, my current position is that of an Emergency Medical Technician on front line (999) ambulances. My circumstances have changed dramatically over the past 18 months and I am now looking to start a brand new career in IT at the age of 35! I have always had an interest in technology (from the early days of the ZX80) and feel I missed my calling in life. Yep must be a midlife crisis :biggrin

Anyways I have had a brief look through the forum and have taken the plunge of ordering "A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (All-In-One)" by Mike Meyers, it should arrive today! Self Study is really my only option as finances are tight, so I know I am going to have to be very self motivated.

I hope to hang around here from time to time to share my experiences and pick others brains too. If anyone has any top tips on breaking into the industry and advancing as quickly as possible that would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Self Studying for A+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D, you made the right choice on starting with the A+.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

As for advancing quickly, your best bet is to start looking into entry level jobs such as 1st Line Support, while studying for the A+. Try and get a job in the industry as soon as you can afford too. If your saying finances are tight, that may be a problem because your very likely to take a pretty heavy paycut to get into IT from the bottom. I dont know how much your currently on, but entry level IT jobs usually range from 12-18k depending on location!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

You made the right choice with A+ and most of us would have said self study wether your finances were tight or not there is no need in training providers for anything if you have the determination.

as nXPLOSi said try to get an entry level support job the A+ AIO will help you when you in work as well as studying for the two exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & welcome.

all good advise given so far.
    Great choise you won't regret buying that book, it's not only a great study aid but also as onthe job reference it's good.

:study:study:study

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's never too late to start.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Late Starter

Late Starter New Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Yes I will be taking a wage cut but am hoping that I may be able to supplement the drop in salary with either bank shifts in my current job or alternatively agency work with my new IT hat:dunce

Certifications: None
    WIP: Self Studying for A+
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Welcome :) i wish you all the best, changing career is never an easy thing to do, but stick in there and itll all be good in the end

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well