Want to get started in network engineering.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MrZiGrishenko, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I believe you get a "how are you getting on" email every so often.

Time is a difficult one - everyone learns at their own speed.

Is there not downloads availble for the A+ and Network+ from the NITLC website? The MM book is one of the best books for the A+ so it looks like you have the right materials, why would NITLC want to write their own?

Again cram session pdfs are of a high standard so it looks like you have the right materials.

Even if you got additional materials from NITLC is it *really* worth the £4.5k?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. ms5er

ms5er Bit Poster

Read my previous post

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Have you contacted them to ask for help?

I personally don't see anything wrong with sending you some books and giving you a couple of months to read them. what do you want them to do? Come and read them to you?

Sometimes I'm not sure what people actually want.
    Are you stuck?
    Are they not taking your calls?
    Don't you know what to do next?

Or are you just sucked off that you've paid over the odds for something because you didn't do your homework?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Sparky

So you thought you would get smaller books that would mean you wouldn’t need to read bigger books to pass the certs?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I think what has happened is you though you could pay £4500 to take a shortcut which didn't exist. I guess it's immaterial whether the course was sold to you like this or you assumed this.

Just because the exam only asks questions on certain areas, you COULD get a question from any area of the modules, hence needing to know it all.

Kind of in the same way as when your actually working, a problem may arise from anywhere, and you will be expected to be able to deal with anything for which you are certified for.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Can we not 'go there' again regarding Training Providers please? We've been relatively angst free for a couple of months now - I can name three former regular posters who either never or very infrequently post here now because the forum was turning into an extension of BBC Watchdog.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. ms5er

ms5er Bit Poster

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Once again - and this isn't a direct go at you ms5er, there are plenty of others here who have done the same thing - we find ourselves with someone who has paid a load of cash to go with a TP, but isn't sure why.

They feel that they've been let down, but aren't exactly sure how.

They feel like they are missing something that they should have had, but aren't sure what.

Take the 'how are you getting on' phone call.
    You're cross because you haven't had one.
    Would it have helped?
    Are you sitting at home stuck on chapter 2 thinking 'God, I hope they call soon to ask how I'm getting on, so I can tell them I'm stuck'?

Was the promise of that phone call worth a chunk of your £4.5k?

They've sent you training material and exam prep which are both accepted as good quality - so are you saying that you would rather have had a thinner book written by some geek at NITLC, photocopied on bog paper with the NITLC logo on the front?

To be fair, you've been mugged big time as you could have got everthing for 1/10th of the price yourself.
    But you didn't.

The salesman probably did make you think that they would implant knowledge directly into your cortex without you having to do anything as vulgar as actual work, while fairies tickled your delicate bits and you wouldn't be the first person that it's happened to.

But as has been mentioned, if you are a long term CF member who has self studied before - what went wrong?

Oh, by the way, can we get rid og the NITLC Google ad? It hasn't changed for about two weeks and I'm getting bored with it. And no, I'm not going green again...

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry. :oops:

Quiet day. Nothing else to do.

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I agree, let's not turn this into another TP v self study thread.

Advice to the OP, sort out your problems with NITLC. I'm sure they can help you much more than we can.

The view that CF takes on TP/Self Study discussion is it's up to you. CF will remain totally agnostic regarding this. There is no royal "we recommend", CF does not. Training provider or self study, it really is your choice. But the one thing we all agree on is the pestilence of Brain Dumps and the like.

Just to finish, I was with NITLC 8 years or so ago and found them to be very good.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. ms5er

ms5er Bit Poster

I think if you were in my position you would annoyed to find that the books and study plan just don’t correlate each other

Am I stuck - No
    Are they not taking your calls? - What calls I thought they would check up on your progress through email – like I said, I have not even received one
    Don't you know what to do next - Of course, intelligent enough to

Nope I believed at the time, that I invested in my future with I thought to be a genuine and unique training provider, who believed that as a Student I got achieve an A+ N+ and MCITP Enterprise Support Technician certifications in just 3 months

12. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I know one way. . . . . Green (ahem). . . . . .(walked right into that one mate ha).

Well said.

ms5er, get in touch with them and just explain your concerns. They are the only ones who can help now that you've paid, not us. They look like a good outfit for what its worth and if AJ went with them 8 years ago, they have lasted longer than most which is also good. Jim

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  13. Sparky

Actually I did my MCSE through NITLC.

Was it worth the money? Probably not but they delivered the materials etc. I was promised and also paid for all the exams so I made the most of it. In saying that I didn’t pay £4.5k.

You can actually pick up the phone and speak to them if you’re not happy. They might send some extra materials and I believe they do workshops as well. Have you spoken to them about this?

I’m not defending any TP here. I just think you should perhaps try and get the most out of what you have paid for rather than complaining here. :thumbleft

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For that much money, I'll call you up every day, mate!

You should spend as much time as you need to understand the material... whether that be 1 day or 100.

So... let me get this straight... you want study material from the same company that posts you books and can't be bothered to call you? :blink What kind of quality would you expect out of it? :rolleyes:

Trust me, you want the Meyers book. It's good stuff.

That said, you should have just gone with the retail book... which has the answers in it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. BosonMichael

The books are big for a reason. You need to understand those concepts. Just because you were tested on a third of the book doesn't mean that the other two-thirds of the book couldn't have come up.

My advice: stop judging the quality of a book by its size (or lack thereof). Get the best quality book regardless of how small - or big - it is.

Know what? Amazon delivers books to your post too. :P

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. BosonMichael

pwned.

17. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

As the man said, if anything the thicker the book the better! Certify or don't certify, knowing and understanding as much as you can will make you the best you can be. I've made a career from knowing enough about different platforms to patch things up, but I still have a lot to learn about Windows, Sun/Solaris, Linux etc. Best of luck mate, James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs