Want to get Certified MCITP

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by adueno, Jun 14, 2012.

1. adueno

adueno New Member

Hi,

I want to get the MCITP certification and don't have any clue how to start. Can you help me? What step I have to do, what books have to buy, any advice is welcome.

Certifications: MCTS, Network+
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Adueno, what path are you looking to take career wise? are you already working in IT?

I have recently started studying the 70-680 myself which is the configuration, installation of Windows 7

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hi Adueno,

You came to the right place! :)

I know it can get a bit confusing when looking at the Microsoft certifications, believe me, it looks confusing to me too some times. How much experience do you currently have? Having the right experience can help in directing yourself to take the right exams and also helps with passing exams. To someone who is new to Windows 2008, it can be a difficult exam/s to pass. Do you currently have any other certifications? like MCSA/MCSE 2003? there are upgrade paths to MCITP if you have those certs.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. adueno

adueno New Member

Yes, I have 3 years of experience working as IT LAN administrator. I want to be a Sharepoint Administrator in my company, but to be there I have to know about Server 2008, right now I'm working with Server 2008, Server 2003, Exchange, Sharepoint, I know a little of everyone but I want to improve my knowledge.

5. adueno

adueno New Member

I like what I do and I want to learn more, is also a need in my work because there is no one who works with these servers. I know that I don't have a lot of experience but I have the interest to learn and achieve that goal. I have Network+, MCTS and some courses of CCNA, but with CCNA I don't take the exam because the lost of my mother, after that I lost the concentration and quit.

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

With three years experience you have a good base. You can always start by doing the MCITP: Server Administrator certification (70-640, 70-642, 70-646), here's a link to all the MCITPs. There's also an MCITP in SharePoint 2010 which require you to pass exams 70-667 and 70-668 and after passing these exams you'll earn MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010.

If the MCTS you have is one of the exams listed for MCITP: Server Administrator then you just have to do the remaining ones. Also keep in mind that when you earn MCITP: Server Administrator or MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, you'll automatically earn another certification called MCSA (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate) on Windows 2008. More info on these certifications can be found here. I'd recommend you look through this link to see the new exams that are coming out.

As of July 31st 2013, MCITP: Server Administrator, Enterprise Administrator and a few other MCITPs will no longer be available. All the info can be found here.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  7. adueno

adueno New Member

Hi,

What books or materials you recommend for exam preparation?

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Try and stick with the Microsoft Press books, I've always used them and they help a lot. With that said, they also tend to be a bit hard to read at times. Other material I've used are books like Exam-Cram and some Sybex books.