Wanna see who's knocking on your door?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zebulebu, Aug 13, 2006.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If (like me!) you're sad enough to keep logs of everything that touches your firewall and are interested to know exactly what the background noise is that hits your external interface, this page might be of interest to you.

For anyone not already able to distinguish a run of the mill Messenger spam probe from a more concerted attack the listing of common port traffic and the exploits associated with it should be useful.

PS: You ARE running a 'real' firewall, aren't you? :ninja

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well according to Shields Up, I am stealthed to the hilt, not sure if I can totally believe that I am invulnerable though :rolleyes:

Nice link as always Zeb :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - I love ShieldsUp and its 'lowest common denominator' approach to port security. The way it tells me, for instance that I am 'unlikely to have a real SMTP server running so I might want to look into the fact that port 25 is open as a matter of urgency...'

Anyone else run a mailserver at home?

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I run Exchange but I don't have any MX records pointing to it, I just use the built in POP3 connector that comes with SBS, so I don't have to open port 25.

The main reason that I have it configured like this is that I don't have a static IP and I can't be ar$ed with setting up dyndns.

When I do eventually get a static IP from an ISP here, I will set it up properly :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - yeah, not having a static IP can be a royal pain. DynDNS is dead easy though - 25 quid a year buys me everything I need. Course, my ISP got a bit arsey with me when I hosted a SQL Server and connected to it via 1433 - I got a 'cease and desist' letter off them after about a month :D

Also, I do occasionally have problems mailing clients who have settings on their mail server to drop mail from non-corporate IP ranges - that has caused me problems in the past, meaning I still have to rely on the old gmail & my ISP's mail account from time to time.

Still - nothing like the experience of the real world when configuring Exchange - there's no way I'd have been able to get the exposure to learning mail server roles 'properly' by p1ssing around on live systems at any of the places I've worked - nor been able to experiment with different methods of protecting them via ISA

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yeah, have run Surgemail a few times in the past on my server, using dyndns (running that anyway). Peach to set up, but was only for testing purposes at the time.

Sorry - getting away from the topic :offtopic

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity