W2K3 File Transfer size limit?

Discussion in 'Software' started by simongrahamuk, Jul 19, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As the title says does anyone know if W2K3 has such a thing?

We are trying to transfer some SQL data from a local server to a remote server, and it simply will not send if the file is greater than 1mb.

Someone suggested to me that W2K3 has a setting somehwere in it that sets this kind of thing, where as W2K doesn't, but I'll be darned if I can find any information about it anywhere.

Any suggestions anyone? :blink

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Are you trying to replicate data from a sql server on the 2k3 server, or just trying to send the data somehow? And, how are you trying to send the data if not replicating it?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

To be honest my SQL Knowledge is very limited, so forgive any ignorance.

The SQL Server Runs on W2K3, the data that is being sent is from the result of a database query which is output to a file that gets sent.

The file gets sent (or should get sent) automatically to the URL of the remote server.

All of the above is done using our MIS Software front end that runs on SQL, and it is their support people who have suggested this file size limit setting.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As freddie says - what protocol?

FTP and scp have no inherant limit - I've sent files of many GBs this way. At that size there may be filesystem limits though!

If you are doing it via ODBC then I've known poor drivers to die on transfers that are much smaller than this. Usual thing is to use a cursor if you can't fix the driver.

If via some M$ specific method then I have no idea!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Simon,

I know of no limit in SQL server itself, at least not in 2K. I haven't played with 2K5. I also know of no limits in 2K3 either. My guess is that the problem is either in what Harry suggested, in the custom built front end you're using, or in the protocol being used. If the file is being sent by email you could very possibly be running into an attachment size limit.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks Freddy and Harry,

I have no idea how the file is being sent, or even where it goes to. All I know is what has been said above, and that it doesn't work, so I will leave it in the hands of the people that support the MIS system.

Cheers anyway though, and if I ever find out the fix (that is if they ever tell me what the fix is) I'll let you know. 8)

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Is it a php upload script/command that's running here ? Forgive my ignorance on matters such as this, but I know from our sys admins at work that there is an upload restriction enforced globally on our servers on certain php scripts for this - it is something to do with the fact that the script or command writes directly to hard disk rather than to memory and then disk, and is therefore a massive drain on resources on a shared server.

Maybe I shouldn't drop this into the pool of your discussion till I am a bit more aware of the facts of this, but wondered if it might be a place to start looking, Si....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you backing up the SQL data to a remote server? That can cause probs.

As for a file transfer size I’ve never seen anything like that before as long as the target drive is formatted in NTFS. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ignorance forgiven Gav, To be honest I'm fairly ignorant of how this works, as the LEA just turn up and do stuff on this server when they feel like with out explaining what they are doing!

It could be some kind of PHP script that runs, because I have had to kill the application a few times when it has been trying to run as it eats all of the servers resources. But truth be known I simply don't know. Neither it seems do the LEA support team!

No Sparky, the SQL data gets backed up to the same data, and then that backup gets backed up to tape during out regullar backups.

8)