W2K product key

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Jun 20, 2008.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok i know we get asked this ocasionaly, and normally its by people looking for a hooky copy but i need to change the Product key on a W2K system.

Whats happened is that at work we've found that the company that's been cloning our HDD for us, have been using an OEM version of W2K instead or using a VLK. This means all the Pcs have the same key in windows. Now we have shipped them with unique licence keys on the outside of the boxes, but we need to change the keys within windows to make it all properly legal (we've contacted MS about this and we're still waiting for the reply, seems its a bit grey).

I know i can change the Key using Sysprep to make sure it matches the one the Box gets shipped with. But this means making sure the PC name is correct, network settings arent changed etc. I've tried using MagicJelly bean, but that won't let me change the key, jsut view it (options greyed out on the new release, on older ones while i can type an new key it wont accept it)

So is there anything else thats free, and can let me do this? I don't want the Keys, just an app to let me change them. (at the moment it look slike around 30 boxes as only one companies spotted this, but it could run into the higher hundreds if we need to do them all) so i want a simple solution. Please?

Luckily we've change our HDD suppliers who are now using a MVLK to clone teh drives.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think you may be out of luck as from what I understand going from an OEM key to VLK in Win2k would need Sysprep. I think that's the only think you could use.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

regardless of the key that was used to install windows are you not still covered by licencing becasue you have all of the appropriate keys?

4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Apparently not if you clone a drive with an OEM licence repeatedly and do not change the product key of the new image.

Looks like we're going the Sysprep route for now. But still waiting MS to see what they say, as it could stuff us royaly.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,