w2k (again)

Discussion in 'Software' started by moominboy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hi folks , had a google for this before asking but can't seem to find what im after.

a while ago, i asked here about restrictions on certain things like properties of .exe's etc,

HERE is the full thread.

anyway, on wednesday i found out where the security policies (local) were hiding on another machine but had to wait till friday to do it on the problem pc.

on looking for them again, i realised that someone has deleted control panel! actually , properly, severely deleted the whole thing, or just hidden it really well.

i couldn't find it at all and have all hidden files shown.

i thought "maybe it's gone for good?" so tried to repair it with the installation disc but alas, service pack 4 has went walkies too so no joy!

what i'm asking is, has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing? or any idea if it's possible to just download the missing control panel components for use?

really frustrating this as i've done everything i can think of with all available rights. :blink

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think this may help:

Start > Run > gpedit.msc
    user configuration
    control panel

Is it disabled?

:blink

3. moominboy

sorry si, have to wait till im back there to answer, possibly wednesday, but i'll e-mail the link to the guy and see if he can do it.

ta though! :biggrin

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Group policy is fun stuff Moom, you can do many things with it apart from hiding the control panel applet. You have complete control over what users see on their desktop.

Group policy is applied in an Active Directory domain in various places. Firstly there is the local group policy which you are getting into now. But group policy can also be set at the domain level or even the site that the computer is at.

When you study Active Directory, group policy is covered in great detail. The main points to remember are that if the machine is part of a domain, then the resulting group policy i.e. the one that is effective on the client machine is a combination of whatever has been set in the hierarchy. The process goes from local > site > domain > OU >OU etc. An OU is an organisational unit and they are configured on a domain controller in the Active Directory Users and Computers snap in. So, local policies will be overridden by site policies which will be overridden by domain policies and then any policies in the OUs take precedence.

Group policy can be set to block policy inheritance so that settings from higher up in the hierarchy can't alter the settings lower down but *if* the group policy higher up in the hierarchy is set to *no override*, well then block policy inheritance won't work.

Group policies affecting accounts, like password expiration are set at the domain level only and that is it.

Why am I telling you this? really only so that it might give you a bit of an insight into what AD (Active Directory) can do, or at least an idea of some of the control an administrator can have 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. moominboy

thanks a lot bluerinse!

i really should start studying AD's and workgroups in more detail as, to be fair, that is where most problems lie with the work i'm doing, as well as niggly things like networking printers etc.

the annoying thing is though that we can't really "do" much to the system as a whole, because the pc's are contracted out to Akhter and as such, i'm working more as a very local admin/tech which i am enjoying but feel i'm not getting my hands dirty enough.

next time i see the Akhter guy i'm going to have a word and see if they'll let me work with them for nix. then at least i'll be experiencing real admin dramas!

can't wait! :tongue

6. moominboy

hi folks.

cheers for the help i got there with the cmd gpedit.msc but whats the msc part stand for?

oh and the cp hasn't appeared yet but im going to re-boot and see if that brings it back. ta much!

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

msc = MicroSoft Console.

At least thats what I reckon. :blink

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The official answer:

From Microsoft:

9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I found this book very useful and educational.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

moominboy,

Explore the secedit command. It will save you a lot of rebooting when working with gpo's as it will refresh the security policies on the machine you run it on.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks Freddy,

I was actually just trying to remember the name of that command for something completely unrelated!

:biggrin

12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yeah, I knew that so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. You're not wearing your tin foil hat today.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :) :) :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. moominboy

lol @freddy!

cheers for the tips guys, i actually had a fair bit of fun mucking around with the gpo stuff today.

might even leave a few surprises on my mates pc.... :twisted: :biggrin